ATX Community

Update multiple Common Files

Braddy

I ended up moving files through the export import function.  From ATX 2019 to 2019 on a new computer. In order to roll the returns in to 2020 I have to keep opening the returns in 2019 and letting them update their common file.  Is there a mass way to do this? I had found an article from 2017's payroll but it drove me into a dead-end. Thanks for any help!

Just a personal soapbox, this is a great time for you to document your "move to a new computer" process and treat it as a disaster recovery test/process as well.  I preach to any who will listen to be prepared, and to get your process down to less than a day (not including time to get a new machine, if you do not have an alternate already setup and in place, which I strongly recommend as well).

If anyone reads this far, I still am fond of the surface pro units, with external monitor, keyboard, and mouse, as they can be grabbed "to go" for regular use or emergency bug out, and come with very good built in security for a consumer pre built product.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Braddy said:

I ended up moving files through the export import function.  From ATX 2019 to 2019 on a new computer. In order to roll the returns in to 2020 I have to keep opening the returns in 2019 and letting them update their common file.  Is there a mass way to do this? I had found an article from 2017's payroll but it drove me into a dead-end. Thanks for any help!

You moved the data the wrong way and created a new database. It's not too late to start over and do it the right way.

You learned the hard way that export/import is not a good way to move your data. You don't get any of your settings, preferences, preparers, form customizations, etc., etc.

You can always run the ATX Admin Console to see where your data and backups are being stored. Admin console is located here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Wolters Kluwer\ATX 2019 Admin Console\Sfs.ServerHost.AdminConsole.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Wolters Kluwer\ATX 2020 Admin Console\Sfs.ServerHost.AdminConsole.exe

Also, the default location for ATX data and backups is a hidden system folder called ProgramData. You might have to change windows view settings to see the folder. Alternately, you can type %programdata% into file explorer location bar to get to that folder.

• Like 1