ATX Community

NT--Time card app for Quickbooks Desktop

DANRVAN

1 hour ago, DANRVAN said:

If they want to work and get paid they will!

In the current times, some have found it more profitable to not work, and there appears to be a chance new regulations will allow refusal to return to work based on potential/perceived risks to health. (This is NOT a political statement, just the apparent facts.)  WA state has not even figured out employer SUTA numbers for 2021, as they are trying to account for and predict the future (versus states like mine, who collect as little as possible, borrow to make ends meet, then pay it back likely from general fund money).

Current times or not, if an employee is required to use a remote time tracking system, such as an app, as opposed to a computer at the work site, then the remote work might also mean it is of benefit to the employer to provide and control the device.  This is becoming more and more common, given how decentralized work locations are moving to be more common.  Such systems may also have GPS tracking, to ensure work rule compliance (my opinion, remote employees not in a very trusted relationship, should be tracked, not so much for hour type enforcement, but to ensure they are not working at any location, not approved and insured by the employer, enough to cause liability (injury type, and taxation).

17 hours ago, DANRVAN said:

If they want to work and get paid they will!

Our Company has Soft RSA tokens and software needs to be installed on phones. Employees, at first, say something like "I am not letting my company to put stuff on my personal phone".  I don't argue with them.  I just tell them, that token is needed for you to log on to sign your time card. So, you let me know when you are ready to install. Sometimes, they say, who can I complain? I tell them, VP of HR will be a good start, but this has been decided by HR, legal team and upper management. By the end of the conversation, they said "how do I get the software on my phone?"

I know it is hard to believe, but I actually know people who do not have a cell phone or who have a cell phone with no data plan.  Do companies that require tokens on a phone or a certain software installed pay anything towards the monthly cost of the data plan or the cell phone?  Can you require someone to own a cell phone as a condition of employment?

• Like 1

it is a matter of convenience. You can have a hard token which will take a few days to get to you and you have to carry both, your cell and the hard token. It is easier to forget your hard token than your cell.

Companies don't requires cars... you can take the bus but a lot of people use their cars for convenience.