ATX Community

Form 3520 - Client Letter Discussion

Matthew in the PNW

Is there a way to have ATX add a paragraph on the ATX generated letter when filing form 3520?

After filing multiple previous years, one of our clients potentially didn't mail the 3520 and claims to have never heard of receipt confirmation. They are claiming we take care of everything of course.

I would like to ATX to automatically add a paragraph for returns with a 3520 that states to mail it in separately and to send it certified mail for receipt confirmation. I know ATX will do this for IRA Contributions, but wasn't sure if there were edit options to have the software do this for other items as well.

A penalty like that makes you want to decline these taxpayers as clients, or get a 2848 on file so we can call to confirm receipt! If only we had that much time on our hands 😄

• Like 1

If ATX doesn't automatically add a form 3520 section, you could create a 2nd federal letter for returns that contain that form and use that instead. Or you could have the text in any text file and copy/paste it in as needed.

If you opt for the 2nd federal letter, you'll need to include the state section as well, because I doubt ATX will combine the state with a custom letter like it does with the official federal letter.

• Like 1

Great suggestions on the federal letter edits. I'll probably place that in this client's "Note to preparer" document. We're in the awkward growth stage with a couple new preparers coming on, so I don't trust them to roll the right letters over, or myself to check for it on 04/15.

I'll try to investigate further on the custom paragraph within the default letter "after" tax season.