ATX Community

NT/ Slow computer

TaxmannEA

Reboot! 

Bring up Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and see if you can find the task that's using up all your CPU or RAM.

And if that doesn't help, call your IT person.

It's good to reboot your computer at least once a week. Many programs that run all the time use more and more memory the longer they're running.

How much RAM do you have?

• Like 1

This machine has 16 GB RAM. The problem affects resident programs, internet and network based programs. This is a rebuilt machine with Windows 10 Pro installed and has been quite good until today. I've re-booted several times.

When i tried to access Task Manager I got a message that no apps were running at this time.

Is it time to get a big hammer?

• Haha 1

I found the problem! I was having problems with the Drake program not starting when I clicked the desktop icons. Evidently when that happened DStart would start running and not stop. After several attempts, the apps would run the CPU up to 100% and slow everything down. I ended the DStart apps and re- installed the desktop icons for the 2 years of Drake that were the problem. Everything is running up to speed now.

Thanks Abby for your suggestion. That got the ball rolling for me.

• Like 6