ATX Community

If a client sold their main home, does it have to be reported even if they don't have have to pay taxes on it?

giogis245

I agree and report it, claiming the exemption. A client signs a lot of paperwork during their closing and might not know they received Form 1099-S in their packet, or it might be mailed to their old address. It takes almost no time to report it and exclude it; but it takes a lot of time to answer the IRS letter, calm your client, and even figure out what happened in the past.

• Like 7

I have had many clients tell me they did not receive a 1099S but when I ask for the closing packet, lo and behold! there is the 1099S.  I had an interesting one this week where the homeowner was deceased, and the mother was the sole heir (no will.) The 1099s was made out to mom, sole heir of son's estate and did not show any tax identification number!  I had to call the title company to see whose tax id they actually reported this in - mom or the estate. 

• Like 5

My client is 66, disabled, and receiving Soc Sec. He took $12k from his IRA. So far, he's not required to file. 

BUT, he sold his home and he didn't yet receive his second stimulus payment. 

So, I was going to file so that the 1099S won't come back on me, and to claim the stimulus. 

Should I? 

• Like 3

Yes. You never know when a 1099S is out there. What Gail said. And, if they look at her return when she's 69 and disabled, will she be able to recreate the house basis? Just report it now and start the SOL. What Patrick said. Report it. Depending on your software, just one/two lines to report and claim 121. You don't have to charge her any extra if you don't want to. But report it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Always, always, ALWAYS report the house sale and exclude the gain.  The last thing anyone needs or wants is a nastygram from the IRS, two years post-sale, demanding tens of thousands of dollars in taxes not actually owed.  The younger folks just have to change their pants before they call you, screaming or in tears or both, and I frequently wonder how many heart attacks those letters have caused in the elderly.

• Like 3