ATX Community

Taxable SS and 300 donation

grandmabee

I think it's Line 7 of the current (2/15/21 @ 7:00 am CST) ATX "figuring taxable SS benefits [my name for it]"worksheet that will have to be overridden.  When ATX corrects it, Line 5 should be omitted, Line 6 will become Line 5, Line 7 will become Line 6 and include the donation amount.

See page 30:    2020 Instruction 1040 (irs.gov)

• Like 1

Somewhere on this message board, I read that this issue was only affecting taxpayer's when their social security benefits were 85% taxable.

Just had one where only 15% of their SS was taxable and it impacted their return.

Personally, I would rather not override numbers.  Has anyone e-filed a return with Line 7 on the worksheet overridden?  If so, any issues?

Disgusted with ATX.  They should have fixed this issue as soon as it came up.  On the Official ATX Community, many have submitted cases and contacted support about this.  Crickets.

Grace

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Yes, if you're under the 85% taxable limit or just over, it matters and you'll have to override line 3 of the SS worksheet by subtracting 300 from whatever is there.

I believe you add [up to] 300 to Line 7 of the SS worksheet. 

Grace, I have overridden Line 7 on two or three (can’t remember) that have been accepted. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

You can override that line if you don't want to wait, but it may cause problems with the states.

Fortunately I live in a non-taxing SS state. 

What a mess.  I've tried several returns - depending on income, sometimes the IRS and ATX worksheets give the same taxable result; sometimes more, sometimes less.  Mostly nowadays, the churchers drawing SS are the ones who actually paid $300.  The rest of the crowd - like me - put ten bucks in the Salvation Army pot and about the same (twice :)) to the door-to-door church groups selling $5 worth of peanut brittle.  Anyway, I'm stalling them (this is a tedious problem) until the fix. 

Called ATX on it this week - tech said she never heard of such.  Nice lady, but offered directions to online ATX Support (you can imagine the help there on this sort of problem).  Oh well; "Such is life," the old man used to say.

Positive note: Customers seem suprisingly flush this year.  One exception-T/P and his wife rack up just under six figures, but says he'll pick up next week when his check comes in - currently broke flatter than a duck's instep.  Taxpayers today - what can you say? :D 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, GLJEANNE said:

It's fixed now!

Thanx, but such an important announcement should be expanded upon (or exceed three words after my three paragraph bloviation above) - therefore ...

Had a truck-drivin' client tell me he went to Minnesota and it was so cold that his truck tires froze to the pavement while he was in the coffee shop.  Which begs the question - "How's the weather up there?" :rolleyes:

• Haha 3