ATX Community

FYI: IRS says it won't extend this year's tax-filing deadline

ETax847

30 minutes ago, Possi said:

Don't we have a liaison or representative standing in the gap for us? 

Last year the deadline was extended for COVID. What the heck changed from last year to this year?

geeeeeezzzz 

Hopefully the new administration will follow the lead of the previous administration when it comes to this.  Even an additional month would be useful.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Yardley CPA said:

Hopefully the new administration will follow the lead of the previous administration when it comes to this.  Even an additional month would be useful.  

According to that article, they will not. 

The bottom line here is that, once again, we tax professionals are under the gun. The IRS imposes so much pressure on us with zero compensation, zero thought, zero zero zero. 

"We'll fine you if you don't do this, don't do that, don't dot your i's and cross your t's, and do it in a powder keg in split second time. Oh, and we won't compensate you for it."

They shaved all this time off our prep time, and no extension. 

Can you tell I'm a little ticked off? 

I'll shaddup now. Sorry. Not sorry.

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

What do we tell our clients?????

I tell them, even if the IRS will extend, I will close my office after April 15 and go to Bahamas. That's what I am telling them now and that's what I will tell them in March and that's what I will tell them up to April 7.  But if the same person calls me on April 10th, I will tell him/her that the government extended the time to file and that my office will be happy to have their business and my office will stay open

The IRS is doing the same thing because if they announce the extension now, people will relax too much.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

You are so right! 

I always tell my clients that my deadline is March 15th. 

They know I have zero intension of working all year. 

There has to be a dangling carrot for me, and that is the fact that the business is seasonal.

This year, it's Gatlinburg. It doesn't take much to make me happy. 

• Like 3

I love extensions; I hate breaking stride to work on extensions, calculate payments, e-file, etc. Wish the extension was truly automatic. Wouldn't mind too much the payment date of 15 April as long as no actual extension had to be e-filed. Although, I'd like it even better if the payment date were later, May, June, or July would be great.

But if I were king of the world, there would be no new tax laws during the year in question; laws messing around with 2020 taxes would've had to have been law by 31 December 2019. Let us help with year-end planning. Give us time to learn the new laws.

Lockdown Congress and make each one prepare his/her own tax returns with pencil and paper and maybe a calculator with the instructions and wait for forms that aren't final and instructions that haven't been revised. Don't unlock the building until everyone is finished. Staff, interns, everyone.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Amen!

Be careful what you wish for. 

So, you want the IRS to say... filing season starts on January 23rd and ends October 15?  That will be lovely because I make a lot of money in October right before Christmas. BUT wait, that means I will not have enough money to pay my April and May rent because all my clients will wait until October to file.

I don't have to push my clients earlier; I have to push them later, spread them out over the year. They'd all want to file 23 January if they could, if they had all their documents. But I can't complete all those returns in two months. I'm preparing partnerships and S-corporations now, so will have only one month for personal returns. My choice is to make much less money or work more months. My hubby works all year, so it fits our schedule for me to work much of the year. We schedule our own vacations, days off, mental health days.

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Lion EA said:

Lockdown Congress and make each one prepare his/her own tax returns with pencil and paper and maybe a calculator with the instructions and wait for forms that aren't final and instructions that haven't been revised. Don't unlock the building until everyone is finished. Staff, interns, everyone.

No calculator. LOTS of erasers.  Penalized for addition/subtraction/other math mistakes.  It would keep them too busy to cause other trouble, which makes it even better!

• Like 5