ATX Community

eFile 2019 1040X

Tracy Lee

Did you go through the ATX standard process that creates a duplicate of the client? I hate that. I'd much prefer to just have one file for each client. Last year we had several returns rolled over for the original filing and not the amended filing, so the carryovers and comparisons were wrong.

You could call support and they would allow the efile.

In the past, I've always just added the 1040X to the existing file, but that was for a paper file.

I just added the 1040X to the existing file.

I was trying to avoid calling ATX.  I have already tried before and was on hold forever. 

I have efiled 1040X for 2019 without this problem in 2020 so I'm not sure why it's a problem this time, unless it has something to do with it being a new year?

The 547 page ATX user guide is not helpful in this instance.

28 minutes ago, Tracy Lee said:

I just added the 1040X to the existing file.

In my experience that won't work

51 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

Did you go through the ATX standard process that creates a duplicate of the client? 

Abby has you pointed in the right direction.

I finally got through to ATX as well as finding the answer on the ATX support.  I can file the 1040X straight from the original return; the only issue is that IRS has not opened that form up yet for efiling.

Thanks for all the help, I'm going to wait until it opens and try again, because I really prefer to only have one client file.

Umm, I wonder how I was able to e-file two 2019 1040X returns, both accepted, in August (refund received) and one in January if IRS is not open yet or has the form.  Guess my mileage varied a lot!  But then, I did use the Amend return feature and retitled the amended return AMD.  My opinion is that it is better to have as originally prepared and then the amended one.  If labeled, it is clear the next year which to rollover and it can again be retitled.  Anyway, this works for me.

I just filed one and it was accepted.  I went thru the 'amend' procedure to create a new file.  The Fed 1040X went thru.  But my Ky amended was rejected.  I think it is because Ky does not have a separate amended form (they used to have 740X).  Now they just use their regular form and have a check box for amended and year of amendment.  I think I need to call ATX and they can open it up for a 2nd return to go thru.  Like I've done in the past with some of these partial 'final' year business or estate returns.

• Like 1

I followed the ATX instructions exactly by creating an amended tax return file from the original file so I have two separate files / returns.  But I still can't e-file the 1040X.  It keeps on thinking I am e-filing the original 1040 that has already been e-filed and acceppted.

6 hours ago, 1464940 said:

I followed the ATX instructions exactly by creating an amended tax return file from the original file so I have two separate files / returns.  But I still can't e-file the 1040X.  It keeps on thinking I am e-filing the original 1040 that has already been e-filed and acceppted.

Hmmm.  I don't know why?  There must have been something you did that was different.

20 minutes ago, 1464940 said:

I just contacted the tech support and he said the IRS is not currently accepting e-filed 1040X.  Huh???  

Per my reply above, I had one for 2019 accepted January 31, 2021, the same day created, transmitted to EFC and accepted by Agency.  Do you think the tech was saying no acceptance for 2020 amended returns?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Per my reply above, I had one for 2019 accepted January 31, 2021, the same day created, transmitted to EFC and accepted by Agency.  Do you think the tech was saying no acceptance for 2020 amended returns?

He asked me the year of 1040X and I told him 2019.  I got a feeling though he was just trying to brush me off.  

• 1 month later...

I am trying to create an efile file to amend 2019 and I have tried by clicking amend return which makes a duplicate and I work on the duplicate.  I only have a choice to create efile for 1040. 

I have also tried to duplicate return, amend it and still not able to create efile for 1040X. 

If I am not mistaken, I used to see choices for 1040 and 1040X when creating the efile file. Has anyone amended anything this month or Feb?

When you click in the original (or a duplicate) return to amend, Form 1040X appears, right?  Then you change the numbers in the 'original' 1040 to populate the amended column. You already know the figures for the original column. When creating the e-file, 1040X does NOT appear but, by its presence, the system knows that it is there.  See the responses in General Chat where you have also posted this.  I believe that the original must also have been e-filed though not necessarily by you. After you e-file, the tab under 1040 EF Info, E-filed Forms, will list all the forms that were sent including the 1040 that you altered and the 1040X as well as all other schedules some of which you may have had to add when amending.  It works, really!

• Like 1

On 2/15/2021 at 2:15 PM, Abby Normal said:

Did you go through the ATX standard process that creates a duplicate of the client? I hate that. I'd much prefer to just have one file for each client. Last year we had several returns rolled over for the original filing and not the amended filing, so the carryovers and comparisons were wrong.

You could call support and they would allow the efile.

In the past, I've always just added the 1040X to the existing file, but that was for a paper file.

I think ATX has an option to 'Amend' the return.  Not just duplicate the return.  I think you have to open the original, then there's the option to 'Amend'.  It creates the 2nd return with the 1040X.  Make sure you close the original and are working in the amended return.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, Oh Baby! said:

I think I followed all of the steps correctly, but when I go to efile, I am not getting an option to efile the 1040X, only the 1040?

Check the report for efiled forms.  The 1040X should be included when you file.  If it is not there, I don't know what you did incorrectly.   I know it looks just like you are filing the original return, but the X should be included in the Efile, it just won't call it a 1040X in the e-file manager.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• 4 weeks later...

When you create the amended return and save it, it still saves the orginal 1040efile and State efile info; the system thinks you already efiled it with the efile transmital numbers and original client signature date. 1-Go to the forms listing on the left, delete the 1040efile info and state efile info. 2- create the efile. It will say it does not have the proper info to efile the returns. Click on the links to re-create the 1040 and state efile info. 3- re enter the taxpayer pin and new signature date. Now you can efile the amended return.