ATX Community

How large can PDF files be

Dan

Question:  How large can PDF files be in order to e-file them?  When I created the PDF file is said, "The file is large and my slow or prevent success e-file transmission."

I see from ATX info that ATX allows attachments up to 256 K.  My PDF for one State has 504 KB and the other State has 1370 KB.  I have tried to find what K stands for.  If K means Kilobit, than I am way over the amount allowed because 256 Kilobit would only be 32 KB.  Thus would not be able to e-file the two State returns because of the question above.

Question:  What does K stand for if I haven't mentioned the right one above?

From a simple math... yes you are over the limit. If your file is 504KB and "ATX allows attachments up to 246K", you have passed the limit. Since you don't have a letter after 246K, your only choices are b or B.  Since your file is 504KB, it will be bigger because b is less than B. If you know what I mean.

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/15/2021 at 3:38 PM, Yardley CPA said:

I've received that message and still attached the file.  I had no issue with it successfully going through.  I would attempt to attach it and try e-filing.  

My experience, since attaching pdf file was make available, has been just like Yardley CPA.  I ignore the size warning, and go forward.

K is for kilobytes and I've never had an efile rejected as being too big. The best thing to do is try it and if it won't transmit, find some software to reduce PDF size. There are many to choose from, but some will degrade the readability.

But, to be honest, there's no way I believe anyone is reading attachments to efiles. Not even if the return is given extra scrutiny. I may test this by attaching PDF's of a picture of Mickey Mouse to see if anyone notices.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

But, to be honest, there's no way I believe anyone is reading attachments to efiles. Not even if the return is given extra scrutiny. I may test this by attaching PDF's of a picture of Mickey Mouse to see if anyone notices.

Please keep up posted if you actually perform this experience.  Inquiring minds, you know.

• Haha 4