ATX Community

NT ATX ERROR

TAXMAN

I am seeing this more this year than in years past. I always have the Task Manager up to give me an idea of when I need to close the program to free up the memory issues inherent in ATX's lazy programming practices.

Whatever you do, don't click on CLOST PROGRAM. This will cause you to lose any unsaved work. Instead, "X" the error window, save your changes, then close the program as you normally would.

• Like 1

I usually change printer on ATX and continue working and printing. Today, I couldn't print, so I click OK to the printing error and I printed a single pay. It went through, so I thought the issue was over. I sent the big print job and this time ATX crashed. So, maybe the issue is not ATX but the printer.  Blaming the printer makes sense because this is issue is not widespread. I am using M670 HP print, I THINK.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HV Ken said:

I am seeing this more this year than in years past. I always have the Task Manager up to give me an idea of when I need to close the program to free up the memory issues inherent in ATX's lazy programming practices.

Whatever you do, don't click on CLOST PROGRAM. This will cause you to lose any unsaved work. Instead, "X" the error window, save your changes, then close the program as you normally would.

I've been doing the same: "X" the error window, save the tax return, close ATX, restart ATX. Clicking OK on the error window prevented ATX from restarting until I rebooted my computer.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, grandmabee said:

How do you "stop the print spooler" ?

Someone suggested it in an earlier post.  Type Services in MS search box.  Page down to Print Spooler.  Right click and click on stop.  Repeat and click on start the 2nd time.  I also got a new printer, HP Neverstop 100 (with a new computer).  A small end printer.  I don't know which one actually helped.  The verdict is still out as I do more returns.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Pacun said:

net stop spooler from CMD as admin.

net start spooler to put it back in action.

You could put this in a bat file and put a shortcut to it on your desktop. Or even this more complete version that clears the cache too:

You can clear the print queue using commands like this.

Select Start.
Type Command.
Right-click “Command Prompt” and select “Run as administrator“.
Type net stop spooler then press “Enter“.
Type del %systemroot%\System32\spool\printers\* /Q then press “Enter“.
Type net start spooler then press “Enter“.

I found a batch file you can download:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/90615-reset-clear-print-spooler-windows-10-a.html

• Thanks 1

This discussion comes up often enough that I copied the instructions for solving this error and put it in "Tips, Tricks and Workaround" that is part of the pinned topics at the top of General Chat.  That is why the old (linked) topic was revived and appears in the list of current topics.