ATX Community

Has anyone claimed an additional dependent on an efiled 1040X?

Abby Normal

I'm wondering about the classic situation of an ex-spouse claiming a dependent they're not entitled to. We used to just paper file, but that's not practical with the IRS backlog. So I was thinking, efile without the dependent, then efile an amendment with the dependent, and was wondering if anyone here has tried that.

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

without the dependent, then efile an amendment with the dependent, and was wondering if anyone here has tried that.

I just had a similar situation with a different twist.   New client filed w/o dependent in 2019 but actually was entitled to claim since lived in house hold over 1/2 year.

E-filed 1040x yesterday and was rejected because dependent already claimed.  

So off with a paper 1040x we go.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I'm wondering about the classic situation of an ex-spouse claiming a dependent they're not entitled to. We used to just paper file, but that's not practical with the IRS backlog. So I was thinking, efile without the dependent, then efile an amendment with the dependent, and was wondering if anyone here has tried that.

Yes, but it will reject if the dependent is already used elsewhere, just like an initial 1040.

I used this strategy last year when the college kid took their dependency for their $1,500 W-2 costing the parents the AOTC.

e-file the amended return for the college student

wait

e-file the amended return for the parent adding the college student and AOTC

Worked like a champ!

29 minutes ago, WITAXLADY said:

wait -did you say efile AMENDED  return??

Can we do that with ATX now??  2019, 2020?

thx d

Yes, we've been able to efile 2019 for several months.  I did one in August and another earlier this month.  I would imagine 2020 can be efiled now, too, but seems a bit early for an amended return to me.

• 3 weeks later...