ATX Community

Spouse died, gets recovery rebate credit

Possi

Am I missing something? A deceased person can't get a check or a payment... but CAN get the recovery rebate credit? 

https://www.aarp.org/money/taxes/info-2020/stimulus-check-in-deceased-name.html#:~:text=Individuals who died in 2020,made out to the dead.

Paragraph 4:  "Individuals who died in 2020 may be eligible for a Recovery Rebate Credit on their 2020 taxes if they did not receive a second stimulus check."

My client's husband died in 2020. She got the first full payment, but $600 on the second payment. I THINK she gets this $600 credit on the 2020 tax return. 

I also have a client where the spouse died in 2018 and he received his and her payments for the 1st round.  Now I'm looking at the worksheet for the recovery in the program and I'm not seeing how to pay back.  (He did not know he had to pay it back in April when he got it. )  Poor ol' guy.  Thinking about letting sleeping dogs lie.

Schirallicpa - I think that is what happened with one of my clients too where wife died in April 2019. He says he always makes a partial, rounded deposit of checks he receives, and he deposited $2,000 right around the end of April 2020 when he would have received EIP#1, and then didn't get the EIP#2 at all.

I filed his return with him getting his full $1,200 for EIP#1, -0- for EIP#2, and claimed the RRC for the $600.  No way to even include anything for the wife now since he is now filing as single, not MFJ.  

• Like 1