ATX Community

​​​​​​​Tax provisions in the American Rescue Plan Act

Yardley CPA

Not really, Tom. I'm just like everyone else here, working and trying to do the best for the clients and our members here.  Many times I look for some reference to steer the person in the right direction without doing all of the research because, after all, I'm busy too and that is the other person's job and responsibility and not mine, so many times I use pubs to give someone that start and don't feel the need to drill down to the regs or code while realizing that it isn't the most authoritative source.  I'm wrong plenty of times, lots I don't know, and areas I don't ever want to deal with, but it does amaze me when people will argue without providing some sort of evidence to the contrary to back up their side.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JoeFreitag said:

So in your opinion I am stockpiling returns by following the instructions of the client solely for their benefit?

NOT stockpiling is what is required of us as EROs. You have options to provide for your client's benefit without breaking any laws. Simply have your client sign when ready to e-file, for instance.

My job as an EA and ERO is NOT to blindly follow the instructions of the client solely for their benefit. It's my job to keep my client WITHIN the law and stay within the law myself. I choose to educate my clients instead of following their instructions.

• Like 7

The EA journal this quarter actually had an article on navigating tax groups on social media--they must have seen a need.  It went into how some respondents are nasty, belittle those who asked a question or disagree with an answer, try to show off their smarts, etc.  It also talked about people who ask basic questions because they are too lazy to look up the answer.  It made me think about why this forum is so great.  Everyone truly tries to be helpful so no one is afraid to ask a question.  If others disagree with a response, their remarks are always respectful.  What a great group!

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Sara EA said:

The EA journal this quarter actually had an article on navigating tax groups on social media--they must have seen a need.  It went into how some respondents are nasty, belittle those who asked a question or disagree with an answer, try to show off their smarts, etc.  It also talked about people who ask basic questions because they are too lazy to look up the answer.  It made me think about why this forum is so great.  Everyone truly tries to be helpful so no one is afraid to ask a question.  If others disagree with a response, their remarks are always respectful.  What a great group!

Yes, this group is like family.  Another good one is the Facebook ATX Tax Software Support Group.  Frankly, the other groups I read have some folks who never picked their own switch off the tree, and it shows.

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, JohnH said:

Well, I completely agree with Rita, having qualified as an expert switch-picker when I was a young lad.  (Except for that time I showed up with a rose bush stem and earned myself a second whipping for being a smart-a$$).

That reminds me of my brother and cousin.   We were at my grandpa's house and the two of them got in trouble for something (boys being boys).   My grandpa sent them out to get a switch off the tree in front.   Being smart a$$es, they cut a 3 inch branch off the tree that took both of them to bring in the house, because they knew he couldn't swing it.   Grandpa got all the switches off that branch he could and used each one on them.   Lesson learned.  

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

To go back to the original question.  IF you have signed e-file authorizations, you can't hold them longer than three days.  END of story; it's stockpiling.

However, if you don't have signed auths, you cannot e-file.  Problem solved; don't get the signed forms until the client wants them sent in.

When I get auths by mail (or file portal) that are dated days earlier than I get them, I always write "rec'd x/x/xx" in ink across the top.  I can't stop a client from signing a form and not bother to return it for a week or two, but I don't want any question of me stockpiling.

• Like 4

Agree with Catherine. I've had clients sign the form and forget to send it.  If it's mailed back late or takes longer than the 3 days, I scan the envelope and any note that comes with it where the client says "oops, sorry I forgot to send this."

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Catherine said:

When I get auths by mail

I provide a SASE with an identifying code only I know above the return address.  I use Catherine's method, but also tape the envelope (w/postmark) to the back of the form.

17 hours ago, jklcpa said:

and forget to send it

Again, I use Catherine's method, but also make the client initial the old date with the current date.

Overkill maybe, but I'll be damned if they'll (IRS) penalize me after NOT paying me to do most of their work!

• Like 4