ATX Community

2019 1040 with 1310 keeps rejecting even though it follows the IRS rules

NECPA in NEBRASKA

6 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Crazy option: understate the withholdings or estimated payments so the return shows no balance due or refund, then let the IRS sort it out.

Not possible unless you have access to Hermoine Granger's time-turner gadget.  A good rule of thumb as clients get older, for sure.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DANRVAN said:

So are saying ATX (or other software) will not e-file with an attached PR certification unless you incorrectly fill out 1310?

Seems like I have done this before without the 1310.

I prefer not to file an incorrect 1310 and would go with paper file if no other choice.   I have one to prepare soon.

I think it depends on the software.  If memory serves, Abby Normal said he was able to get an e-file without the *&^% thing.  But Drake (that I use) insists on that 1310.  Which means mis-state (with appropriate attachments and disclosures), or paper-file.  Problem these days is that any paper-filed return is going to sit for a half-year before it gets worked on.  My client's is a 100% straightforward return that happens to have a sizable refund.

As for Abby's other suggestion - to lowball estimates - is a good one *if* you can get the client to cooperate, and *if* you are not missing crucial information in figuring those ES payments.  The IRS will take a balance due return regardless of who signs for the decedent, and they'll take payment by check or by debit from any source account that's valid.

Good luck, Catherine. I know that there was no way that ATX would let me around the 1310 and it didn't matter how many or which boxes that I chose. This is such a time waster and the fact that the IRS is so far behind, just makes my clients ticked at me even though I have no control over any of it. ATX just tried to get me to add a 1310N to a surviving spouse return, but thankfully, it wasn't a red error and I could create the efile.

Bonnie

• Like 1