ATX Community

Form 1099-R

Christian

A client owing to the Covid pandemic had to withdraw funds from an IRA account before reaching 591/2 last year. The fiduciary assigned code 1 in box 7 of the form. I ask the client to discuss with the broker changing the code to 2 indicating the client qualified for an exception. They declined stating that  her taxman could change it. I see no code number in the elaborated exceptions in the instructions only a notation under other which states "Distributions incorrectly indicated as early distributions by code 1, J, or S in box 7 of Form 1099-R. Include on line 2 the amount you received when you were  591/2 or older." This clearly will not qualify as an exception. Frankly I am stumped as to how I can assist my client in avoiding the 10% early withdrawal penalty. My reading of the fiduciary reporting obligations were that they were to accept a signed letter or statement from the client attesting to the need related to Covid 19 and issue the code 2 on the Form 1099-R indicating an exception applied. Does anyone have a solution to this one ?  

Check the Corona related box near the bottom of the 1099R input.  That will put the amount on 8915-E and eliminate the penalty.

The fiduciary probably coded it correctly.  As far as it knew, there were no exceptions.  If it wasn't covid related and an exception applied, fill out the 5329 and list the exception. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1