ATX Community

Elderly confused on EIP

kathyc2

85 year old client insists she did not receive first 1,200 payment.  She says she received the 600 and get my payment shows 1,400 is on way.  

For all the years in question 2018-20 her income has been below filing threshold and no withholding. 

So annoying that we can't look that up.  She doesn't have an e-mail to set up an online account.

I assume IRS computers are checking recovery claims?  If I have her file that she did not receive the 1,200, and IRS says she did, they just don't send it and no harm?  

It's not just the elderly.  Many get confused with the more recent payment and forget the first.  I usually tell them to track it down because it is very unlikely they would get one and not the other.  One lady insisted she did not get one, looked at her bank accounts.  Then remembered her nephew scared her with 'end of the world' stuff and remembered she cashed the check and put the cash in a safe.  Ha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Randall said:

she cashed the check and put the cash in a safe

And if it had been TEOTWAWKI, she would have forgotten all about the cash.  Which would have been worthless anyhow; in that situation she'd have been better of with barter-ables like cigarettes and liquor.  LOL.

• Haha 3

No I have a married couple in their 70"s. He got the eip1 and 2 no 3 as of this date. Spouse got eip1 but no 2 or 3. 

Other TP on SS only got none of them. Has dd for ss. I think since we can't look anymore I am gonna file her a return with the ss only and see what happens sometime probably in August.

4 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

My policy is to assume they got the stimulus if their AGI was low enough and let the IRS sort it out.

I believe the IRS will just treat it as a math error (so no penalty) if they claim the RRC, but got the EIP.  However, if they don't claim the RRC, they will have to amend the return to get it.  So if you/they are unsure, and they don't mind waiting for the refund ("a slight delay"!!), might it not be best to claim it?

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/2020-recovery-rebate-credit-topic-g-correcting-issues-after-the-2020-tax-return-is-filed

Q G2. I made a mistake when calculating the 2020 Recovery Rebate Credit on my return. How do I fix it? (added March 1, 2021)

A2. DO NOT file an amended tax return with the IRS. If you entered an amount on line 30 but made a mistake in calculating the amount, the IRS will calculate the correct amount of the Recovery Rebate Credit, make the correction to your tax return and continue processing your return. If a correction is needed, there may be a slight delay in processing your return and the IRS will send you a notice explaining any change made.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2021 at 6:23 PM, Abby Normal said:

My policy is to assume they got the stimulus if their AGI was low enough and let the IRS sort it out.

Yes. And mine come in telling ME if they didn’t. I’ve not had much aggravation out of this one. Knock on wood. 

• Like 1