ATX Community

PTC Repayment

Possi

Have you tried the override and then create the efile?   Any Errors?

I don't know if there is a good reason to wait, but I am.   We only have 3 with amounts due, and since they are going to get something they did not expect, I think a little patience until the software is updated is OK.   But if it works for you I might get them out the door.

Let me know how it works.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

I don't know if there is a good reason to wait, but I am.   We only have 3 with amounts due, and since they are going to get something they did not expect, I think a little patience until the software is updated is OK.   But if it works for you I might get them out the door.

Tom
Modesto, CA

Yes, I can create the efile. I only have 2, but want them both outta here.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BP. said:

I'm going to wait. There might be a "worksheet" for this. 😐

I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. I don't believe there are any ripple effects to this. Any update might have a wksht, but I can easily go back to 2 returns and adjust if I need to do that. It won't change the bottom line.

• Like 1

I have 2 that owe a few bucks but the non-refundable child tax credit takes care of that. I am going to file as if nothing happened.

I have been suggesting that the IRS only programs line 28 (I believe) to 0. So that line should read: Maximum repayment = 0 and be done with it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/25/2021 at 11:38 AM, Possi said:

I'm going to pull the trigger on this one. I don't believe there are any ripple effects to this. Any update might have a wksht, but I can easily go back to 2 returns and adjust if I need to do that. It won't change the bottom line.

@Possi How did it go?   What did you override and were there any issues with e-file?   I am starting to get a few piled up and I would  like to get them off the pile.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

@Possi How did it go?   What did you override and were there any issues with e-file?   I am starting to get a few piled up and I would  like to get them off the pile.

Tom
Modesto, CA

I may not have zeroed that out just right. Let me try it again and I'll let you know. 

We were also trying to bump her payment for taxes due until the deadline, but software isn't updated yet. 

Hold that thought....

On 3/25/2021 at 12:50 PM, BulldogTom said:

Tom
Modesto, CA

Donna uses TaxWise.  I was unable to override one the other day using ATX.  When I say "other day,"  that mean three to seventeen days ago.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Possi said:

Nope, it won't fly by zeroing out the PTC. 

We will have to wait for the update... or delete the 8962. I wonder how much trouble that will cause ?

Good Question.   I think it still needs to be reconciled .... but what do I know?  This year I have had curveball after curveball thrown at me.   I am not guessing anymore.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

Good Question.   I think it still needs to be reconciled .... but what do I know?  This year I have had curveball after curveball thrown at me.   I am not guessing anymore.

Tom
Modesto, CA

Exactly why I'm selling. But, I'll still be working and pestering all y'all. 

😃

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Possi said:

Nope, it won't fly by zeroing out the PTC. 

We will have to wait for the update... or delete the 8962. I wonder how much trouble that will cause, @Abby Normal?

Well, Abby might have a better outlook than me, but I'd rather chew off my right arm than have a client get a letter.  It's so much more trouble to me than doing a return.  First the panic call.  Calm down, and bring me the letter.  Then the drop off and the 15 minutes to explain how I got this.  Then 20 minutes catching up and telling them how Uncle Fred is doing, and hearing about their dog that has an infection.  Then, oh yeah, 35 minute conversation for their quick question because they talked taxes with their hairdresser.  I fix the problem.  Eight months later IRS sends a letter saying, "We got your response, but we lost it..."

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

9 minutes ago, RitaB said:

Well, Abby might have a better outlook than me, but I'd rather chew off my right arm than have a client get a letter.  It's so much more trouble to me than doing a return.  First the panic call.  Calm down, and bring me the letter.  Then the drop off and the 15 minutes to explain how I got this.  Then 20 minutes catching up and telling them how Uncle Fred is doing, and hearing about their dog that has an infection.  Then, oh yeah, 35 minute conversation for their quick question because they talked taxes with their hairdresser.  I fix the problem.  Eight months later IRS sends a letter saying, "We got your response, but we lost it..."

You are so right.... and none of us needs that. I'll just wait. Trying like everyone else to push these out of here. My Birthday is at the end of April and I'm celebrating big this year, as you know. I'm not sticking around for the May 17 deadline. Heck, I won't be sober till June....

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

15 hours ago, Possi said:

You are so right.... and none of us needs that. I'll just wait. Trying like everyone else to push these out of here. My Birthday is at the end of April and I'm celebrating big this year, as you know. I'm not sticking around for the May 17 deadline. Heck, I won't be sober till June....

My birthday is in June, if you want to come hang out with me and delay that getting sober nonsense!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/31/2021 at 12:27 PM, Possi said:

or delete the 8962. 

Looks like you called this one. That's today's IRS guidance, per TW.

If there's a PTC repayment (an amount on line 29) then discard Form 8962. 

Yay, more files out the door!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/31/2021 at 5:24 PM, RitaB said:

Well, Abby might have a better outlook than me, but I'd rather chew off my right arm than have a client get a letter.  It's so much more trouble to me than doing a return.  First the panic call.  Calm down, and bring me the letter.

The other side of a client getting a notice is that you get to be the hero by solving it quickly and easily, usually at no charge but sometimes there is a charge. Clients remember the panic and how we rescued them and made the big bad IRS go away. Then they send us referrals.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

So, now I have to wait for guidance from CA.   We have our own CA ACA form with its own calculations and it interplays with the 8962.   I have a client who owes APTC for Fed but is due additional CA PTC.    

CA is driving me nuts this year.   Texas, Nevada or Tennessee are looking better and better to me all the time.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 2