ATX Community

Any opinions of Online Payroll

NECPA in NEBRASKA

A friend asked me about using online software. He has never done payroll, so he is looking for something that will basically do everything. I have only used QuickBooks and Medlin. I don't think that either are great for someone that knows nothing. I will not be helping. I am just asking as a favor. I don't know why he doesn't want to use ADP or Paychex. Maybe it's too expensive.

Thanks if anyone has a quick minute or opinion.

Bonnie

I have used QB in the past. For the most part it is not beginner friendly. But.. if the payroll is setup correctly and not too complicated with fringe benefits; etc. It does do a fairly decent job. PR tax payments can be setup for automatic EFTPS deposits, state deposits; etc. I agree with Medlin though, to start they should use a service.

• Like 1

I have been using online payroll for over 8 years now. Doesn't mean I would vouch for it.

Actually I will be looking a replacement after tax season is over. I already use Medlin for my smaller accounts, less than 10 employees.

Almost all of the services charge between $39 and $69 per month plus $ 4 per employee per month.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

A friend asked me about using online software. He has never done payroll, so he is looking for something that will basically do everything. I have only used QuickBooks and Medlin. I don't think that either are great for someone that knows nothing. I will not be helping. I am just asking as a favor. I don't know why he doesn't want to use ADP or Paychex. Maybe it's too expensive.

Thanks if anyone has a quick minute or opinion.

Bonnie

Bonnie,

If your client wants a online payroll program that does "everything", most functions can be run from a smartphone or tablet, has employee access thru a phone app,

take a good look at a program called "Gusto"  It's at the top or near the top of all the ratings, reviews and cost.

• Like 1

Does she want it to do everything, because she'll be able to understand how to do everything? Then she can demo almost any payroll software to see which one works the way she works.

Or, does she want it to do everything, because she does NOT understand or have time to train to do everything? Then, she should talk to payroll services who will do it for her.

It's like a taxpayer choosing tax software or a tax preparer.

• Like 1

Just did a conversion to "Intuit Online Payroll," everything is in the cloud.  They have 3 levels Core, Premium and Elite which is what they use.  Fee is monthly plus so much per employee per month, not charged per each payroll run and includes direct deposit.  They don't use "Quickbooks" just the online payroll and with Elite, they will do the conversion for you, BUT review it carefully, our conversion could have been smoother although we converted mid year.  Elite includes time tracking and reporting with Quickbooks Time (formerly TSheets.)  Time can be entered from a smartphone app or tablets set up as "kiosks" and time is approved prior to running payroll.  It has a lot of options and you can set schedules, shifts, breaks, locations, etc.  I like that it is in the cloud, they make all Fed, State and Local deposits and all payroll tax form filings.  Employees have a phone app called Workforce where they can access payroll history and receive notifications when they will have their pay deposited.  Employees like it.  Support is good for Intuit Online Payroll and poor for Quickbooks Time, unless you like using the Community.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 9:52 AM, cbslee said:

Bonnie,

If your client wants a online payroll program that does "everything", most functions can be run from a smartphone or tablet, has employee access thru a phone app,

take a good look at a program called "Gusto"  It's at the top or near the top of all the ratings, reviews and cost.

Thanks! That is the name of a program that I gave him after seeing it reviewed pretty highly.