ATX Community

Editing you own post

Lee B

The 5 minute limitation helps to alleviate certain situations that can be difficult to navigate as a moderator.  We only have one rockstar moderator on the forum (thank you so much, Judy), so if it's not too much of a hardship to deal with I would prefer to keep the 5 minute limit in place.

I think in situations where 5 minutes isn't long enough, 15 usually isn't either.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eric said:

The 5 minute limitation helps to alleviate certain situations that can be difficult to navigate as a moderator.  We only have one rockstar moderator on the forum (thank you so much, Judy), so if it's not too much of a hardship to deal with I would prefer to keep the 5 minute limit in place.

I think in situations where 5 minutes isn't long enough, 15 usually isn't either.  

I don't understand what your first sentence and your last sentence means, other than "Get Lost"!

Like most people, I can't proofread until I've looked away/thought about something else for a few minutes. By the time I read another post/answer that phone call/whatever and realize I left out a "not" that changes the whole thing (or whatever my error was) and return to this message board, 5 minutes have usually elapsed. Sometimes I realize as soon as I click Submit Reply. Sometimes it takes stepping away from the topic before what I typed vs what I meant to type sinks in thoroughly.  But I do catch most of my misstatements within 15 minutes, or 10 or 20 minutes. 

Everyone always has the ability to hide his or her own post and start again fresh, and that ability to "hide" the post does NOT have a time limit.  From a member's perspective, that appears to delete the post from view, so copying and pasting the contents (not quoting) into a new dialog box before hiding will allow the poster to have the whole text of the original post for further editing.  Note that hiding still allows Eric and I to see all of the posts made so that we can see what transpired or caused someone else to respond in a certain way.

If we allow editing up to 15 minutes, others may respond to that in a certain way, and then the person goes back to edit and it changes why the conversation and subsequent posts may have been made unless we start quoting of others if following a post within the 15-minute editing window, and sometimes I may be addressing the OP and don't necessarily want to include that other person's statement in my response, but my response may be a result of it.

Edited by jklcpa
  • Like 1

Now, I understand your/Eric's reasoning behind the 5 minutes. Thank you for that explanation. It does make sense, especially during the heat of the season when we're all reading/posting/asking/answering hopefully quickly to help or be helped.

And, I'd not thought about copy/paste as an option instead of quote prior to hiding. That will be a handy technique to use. Thank you, Judy.

It's been particularly frustrating to edit away and then when rushing to click on Save getting the message that my edits are not accepted. Now that I know an alternative to editing, I won't rush as much.