ATX Community

EIP2

Dave T

Just trying to get confirmation on something. 

EIP 1 and 2 were based on 2019 tax return,  correct?  T/p's daughter was 18 in 2019 and their dependent but in 2020 she turned 19 and was on her own.

I know she is eligible for most recent check ( $1400) but I don't think she is eligible for EIP2 and thus the Recovery Rebate Credit on her 2020 tax return.

Thanks very much

The preliminary payment of EIP2 and EIP2 were based on the filing circumstances of 2018 or 2019, depending on what was on file at the time they sent out the payment.  They are reconciled on the 2020 tax return, so that is the only return that really matters for EIP1 and EIP2.  The preliminary payment of EIP3 will be based on the 2019  or 2020 return, depending on what has been filed when they send that payment.  That will be reconciled on the 2021 return. 

This may result in duplicate payments for someone, but that is perfectly acceptable.  There is plenty of money to go around, apparently.

• Like 4

Yes, I understand that but am wondering if daughter was a dependent in 2019 but not in 2020 was she eligible for one or both?

I hate to be obtuse on this and I have done several Rebate Credits for other reasons but for some reason I had a hard time with this one.  If the payments were in effect an advance based on 2019 info and the dependent was no longer a dependent in 2020 they then would be eligible for both?

Thanks very much

If she does not qualify to be the dependent of someone else during 2020, she can have RRC1 and RRC 2 on her 2020 return. Those are 2020 credits available to her if she herself did not receive EIP1 and EIP2.

She'll get EIP3 sometime after she files; that will be a 2021 credit that she gets in advance.

Make sure she's not a dependent, not a student, income, etc.