ATX Community

N/T- Just blew one out the door

jklcpa

I am so mad right now and have been since 10 am this morning. I was going over a return with clients and it was missing an IRA distribution.  Husband accused me of losing the document. Guess what they found when they got home!  So I fixed the return but luckily had another appt and didn't reprint it.  It gets worse, read on!

Return also had new activity on a Sch C and surprise, surprise, three hours after the email with the missing 1099R, I received a list of more Sch C exps! Uh, it's not like I didn't ask about more expenses when they dropped off and on the phone during prep with other questions I had! Guess they didn't like those balances due!  I was still fuming from earlier and this came at 3:30pm. Part of the expenses were rents paid to locations in two other states! So I checked and found a website under her DBA name that said it's a collaborative effort with her daughter, and Linked-In shows her as co-founder.  So, a little nothing Sch C turned into a multi-state *something*. What? A partnership, joint venture, or what?  Also, expenses didn't mention anything about other states' licensing or collecting/remitting of sales tax. 

I know darn well that this business activity would NOT have even been mentioned to me had it not been for a 1099 issued by Square!  I suppose it's possible with last year's work environment to have all credit card and no cash sales if all activity is via internet, but NOT when the expenses now provided list retail locations open to the public.

I know I'm tired and cranky, but I have some really nice clients and don't need this aggravation from someone that lies straight to my face and thinks I don't know or won't find out.   Well, they are seeing my wrath of old that I try to keep a lid on, and came out today!

If you made it to the end of my story, I applaud your effort and thank you for listening!

PS - it's been a really bad week. Husband is finally recovering from AAA EVAR vascular surgery (5 trips for me to the hospital) after being sent home too early and developing an infection over last weekend. And my printer broke on Tuesday in the middle of a return, but I got a nice HP that arrived yesterday at lunchtime and is already installed.

Edited by jklcpa
  • Like 5
  • Sad 11

I am so sorry, Judy. I hope that your husband gets better very soon. I know how hard it is to have loved ones ill. You do not need the stress of these idiots. With the new 1099K rules for 2021, I think that we many of us are going to find out about previously unknown businesses and I am sure that they will be a mess that our clients will want us to straighten out. I am really glad that you have a new printer that works.

Bonnie

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Yep, they show their true colors sometimes, and it's not happy rainbow colors. Out the door is where they belong! Hope they took a lot of your stress with them. And, prayers for your husband and for you and for his whole medical team. Thank you for all you do, Judy, to keep the rest of us functioning during this never-ending tax season with ever-changing tax laws.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Ugh, I have been wading through a Montana return.  Part year, and I'm getting an error message that I need to enter info I already entered.  BTW, I believe you need to remove an adjustment for the $10,200 of unemployment on MT returns.  Anyways, this couple divorced in 2019 & can't get the stimulus payments straight.  It went to a joint account because they filed joint in 2018 and hadn't filed 2019 when the first stimulus went out.

Arrrgh!

• Like 5

Judy, another and another deep breath.  Family first so hoping your husband's recovery is back on track now. 

And good riddance to bad rubbish.  When I think of all the super nice clients I am lucky to have, I know that having clients that lie simply is not worth the money or mental energy it takes to even try to keep them in compliance.  They don't want to so I don't want them. 

If needed, keep venting here.  It's a safe place and we all so appreciate all you do. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I realize the big strike against these clients is the lies, but I am also not impressed by clients who blame me because they did not include all the information with their taxes.  I am too old and too tired for this nonsense. And if my husband were that ill, I would probably have not reacted at all well.  You might all be seeing this on the evening news. 

Hang in there Judy.  We are all praying for your husband's health, and for you!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Hi Ms. Judy, I felt so sad for you by going through this while your husband was not feeling well.  Dont force yourself, we dont owe them anything, you are doing them a huge favor to take them, so they dont entitle to stress you out just because they paid you.  Take care yourself and your husband first.   Wish you feel better.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think Gail's on to something. This tax season with all that we've gone through now into 6Q2020 it's a wonder we haven't seen a tax office on the 11 pm news with police leading a preparer into a squad car! Maybe that's only because a lot of tax preparation is still virtual.

And, this is a virtual safe place, outlet, with people who understand. I'm glad we have this place for our education and for our mental health. Thank you, Judy, for saving us all from what we really want to do right now!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Best to you and yours Judy!

I may just let one go myself.  Another result of how the manipulation of withholding starting with 2020 has someone blaming me for the employee not having enough withheld...  An employee who was claiming M/0 prior to 2020 wanted to add 250 in FWH, and submitted a new W4.  The FWH only went up ~130 because of the new W4 (the new W4 is similar to M/3 the "old" way).  My customer is furious, and cannot understand why "I" have altered the withholding incorrectly.  I have tried rewording the situation via several messages this morning, but I am out of ideas and patience, so the next message will be a refund notice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, all, for the support and well wishes for my husband.

Today's emails were some whining about being so upset, asked me to provide a copy of the *missing* 1099R that wife sent to me via email yesterday, and asked for a referral. Not ever happening! 😬  Then a bunch of garbage about the daughter forming an LLC and taking over the business, and more BS that I don't care about.

Then late this afternoon a blank email with a bank statement from last summer attached.  Why, to prove expenses were legit and not made up?  My focus was on the deposit column that had deposits from many sources including Venmo, Shopify, Paypal, none of which she disclosed to me previously, plus some from Square that were part of the 1099K.

I thought I was clear last night. Guess not, so my reply today was:  "As of last night, I terminated our relationship. Please do not send me any more data or documents."

• Like 8

Judy - CONGRATULATIONS on finding out before that return went out with your name as preparer, that the clients were lying scum who do not deserve your time or expertise.  They would only taint you by association.  Anything you said to them was most likely far more mild than they deserved to hear (after all, they sent you more after, right?).

My prayers for a full and speedy recovery for your husband.  And strength for you, to stand by and help him.  Take a nap, put the phone on silent, and make a vow to fire any/all PITA clients this year.  (We're real close with two back-to-back; I think we're going to try the jack-up-the-fees trick and see if we can drive them away, though.)

I really liked the way @Lion EA put it - Q6 2020.  Wow, is that a perfect term for this craziness, or what?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Most importantly, best to you and your husband Judy.  I hope his recovery goes smoothly the rest of the way. 

As for clients like the one you described, they ultimately pay the price for the AGITA (Italian word for stomach acid) for the issues they cause.  My fees tend to go up significantly for those type of people.  If they leave next year, no problem at all.  If they come back next year, well my fee doesn't go down any.  😉😉💲

• Like 6

Judy - I think we all wish your husband the best.  There's not one person on here that won't tell you family first. 

And at this point of tax season, we all wish we could get rid of some of those nasty clients!  I'm behind farther than ever at this point of early April.  I've had clients calling that have been spoiled in the past with relatively quick turn around.  Between paperwork coming late, PPP loans demanding attention, unemployment turnaround, quarantined employees, and a daughter sick with Covid, I've about had it.  But I will leave early today and enjoy Easter with my family and trust that it will all get done one way or another. 

So Judy, and everyone else here - let's hang in there.  And remember No Work November will be here soon enough.

Happy Easter!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1