ATX Community

Foster child

kathyc2

TP has foster child placed by state in their home from Dec 2019 to July 14, 2020.  

Am I correct that the money received from state does not count as child providing own support?

Since it was over 1/2 year they are entitled to CTC?

And also qualifies for add'l 1,100 for recovery rebate?

It has been a decade since we last had official foster kids, so ymmv.  Back then, the amount of funding simply was not enough to be more than 1/2 of the support (iow, we spent more than the basic rate, out of pocket, especially for short term placements - getting clothes, toys, hair cuts, etc.).  The amount was not countable income for the foster parents, unless it was an actual business (such as a group home).

The two caveats: Certain placements can come with additional funding (over the basic state rate), which could be enough to make 1/2 support come into play, if it counts.  Usually comes with medical coverage paid for, so the value of that could play into the calculation (if required).

18 hours ago, kathyc2 said:

Am I correct that the money received from state does not count as child providing own support?

It is support not provided by the taxpayer.

18 hours ago, kathyc2 said:

Since it was over 1/2 year they are entitled to CTC?

I believe once you get past the support test you follow the qualifying child rules for CTC and stimulus.

Actually, the support test doesn't really apply, since payments from state do not count as child providing over 1/2 of their own support.  That's what I was thinking, but hadn't found verification of it before I posted.  |From Pub 501:

Example 2.

You provided $3,000 toward your 10-year-old foster child's support for the year. The state government provided $4,000, which is considered support provided by the state, not by the child. See Support provided by the state (welfare, food benefits, housing, etc.) , later. Your foster child didn't provide more than half of her own support for the year.