ATX Community

Efile Amended Returns in ATX - anything to watch out for

BulldogTom

Just make sure you open the original return (or the return that you did not prepare but enter the data as originally e-filed)  then choose Amend.  I believe that is the preferred way rather than duplicating though not sure why.  Also note that when ready to e-file, 1040X will not show up as an option: it will show 1040.  After submitting, you will see in the documents filed that the 1040 AND the 1040X will have been sent.  Went very easily with mine once I realized no 1040X will show to e-file.  Good luck, let us know when to celebrate your success - we need every celebration we can get!

• Like 1

I see in the efiled forms tab that it seems like everything is included, even forms that don't have any changes.  Maybe that's a good thing, will never miss anything as with a mailed packet.  Attachments are very easy as they also show on efiled forms tab.

I've also tracked one and it showed up in their system within in a reasonable timeframe, I think a week or 2.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

Just make sure you open the original return (or the return that you did not prepare but enter the data as originally e-filed)  then choose Amend.  I believe that is the preferred way rather than duplicating though not sure why.  Also note that when ready to e-file, 1040X will not show up as an option: it will show 1040.  After submitting, you will see in the documents filed that the 1040 AND the 1040X will have been sent.  Went very easily with mine once I realized no 1040X will show to e-file.  Good luck, let us know when to celebrate your success - we need every celebration we can get!

I thought if you 'Amend' return from the open original, then the efile option for 1040X does show up.