ATX Community

Stimulus question

joanmcq

Ok, clients got divorced 2019.  In 2018 they were still together & filed joint with an account number neither are claiming now.  They got the first stimulus before I filed the 2019 return.  They have 3 kids.

Anyways, TP A says she never got the $1950 the IRS says she got for the first payment.  TP B says she got $2200 the first payment.  Is there anything I can do for TP A? 

I have no idea why the IRS is saying TP A got $1950.  I figure if anything (we filed 2019 with her getting one dependent) she should have received $1700. 

the stimulus wouldn't be decreased by income in any way they filed.

I'll try:

For 2018 the TPs filed MFJ with 3 qualifying kids.

EIP 1 was paid to them before the 2019 returns were filed.

So that meant they were eligible to get EIP 1 of $3900- (1200+1200+500+500+500) based on 2018 filing.

Each now single partner reports exactly half of what sent. That is $1950. (3900/2) So that looks correct.

Some confusing elements-

You say "They got the first stimulus ..." 

then you say

"... she never got .. the first payment."  ??

Also, not sure why the other party is saying their EIP 1 was $2,200. 

I'm seeing confusions also among my post-EIP-divorced clients. 

Miscommunications, misunderstandings, closed bank accounts, new addresses, mailed checks not received. 

Confusions ....

• Like 2

If TP B filed 2019 with 2 children before EIP1 was calculated, they would qualify for $2200 based on 2019.

Since TP A had not yet filed 2019, they apparently got half of the amount based on 2018, or $1950, as BP said.

TP A can trace the payment they say they did not get:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-first-economic-impact-payment-topic-f-payment-issued-but-lost-stolen-destroyed-or-not-received#qf3

Well TP A sent me a screenshot of what the IRS said she got.  TP B sent a copy of deposit showing the $2200. 

This is the most confusing thing I've had to deal with.  I can't remember if I told them to enter their bank account info when the IRS had that open.  Thank you for the link; I forwarded it to TP A.