ATX Community

DISABLED CHILDREN

Lee B

New clients who adopted two special needs children, ages 11 & 13, one with fetal alcohol syndrome and one who is blind.

First clients I have ever had with dependents with disabilities.

Do I need to aware of any other issues besides  extra medical expenses ?

Some possibilities: Adoption assistance (AAP), IHSS, State sponsored aid (CA has programs to cover medical items not covered elsewhere, for example), succession issues (special needs trusts, etc.).  Not so much as to alter tax prep in strange ways, but understanding the items which do not affect tax prep in case the client gives you items which can be ignored.

• Like 1

SSI may make then non dependents, especially if receiving AAP or other cash aid.

Personally, SSI application (and keep at it until approved) now, before age 18, is paramount.  Opens doors.  If receiving SSI, plan for and calculate switching to SSDI when eligible (for the kids' sake, do not take SS retirement before the benefit amount the kids will use for SSDI is maxed).

In this case, the children receive monthly funds from the state, which my clients put in a trust for each child,

which will be used to care for the these kids in future years, so these funds are not used for the children's support.