ATX Community

Attach Form 8865 K-1's to 1040 to e-file?

TaxCPANY

Well, it worked inasmuch as MeF accepted it tonight.

Besides attaching two 8865 K-1's, I input their ordinary income on Line 8 of Schedule 1 with the legend "Form 8865 Schedules K-1" and the partnership names, input the same amounts (fortunately) on the supporting schedule to Line 2 of Schedule SE and the detail schedule feeding Line 1a, Part I of Form 1116.  Foreign tax withholdings ended up on Line B of Part II while Line A was empty but it doesn't look too bad, and it's just there to be carried over as the client had insufficient taxable income -- only self-employment tax.  No ordinary tax also meant I didn't have to wrestle with Form 8995 which initially looked to be the most difficult to work around.

After Tax Season I'll email a request to MeF to make 8865's acceptable.  This wasn't fun.

Reminds me that Schedules C free of self-employment tax (due to totalization) also necessitate paper filing.  That seems a much simpler form to allow the e-filing of and yet . . .