ATX Community

$65,000.00 gift to son

Tracy Lee

I believe I need to file Form 709 to report the $65,000.00 father gave to son to buy a house; especially since it was documented at the bank with a gift letter.

This form will not come up in ATX, is it called something different or not exist at all and I have to get the form from the IRS website?

2 hours ago, Tracy Lee said:

I believe I need to file Form 709 to report the $65,000.00 father gave to son to buy a house; especially since it was documented at the bank with a gift letter.

This form will not come up in ATX, is it called something different or not exist at all and I have to get the form from the IRS website?

@Tracy LeeDo you have Max?   Or just the 1040 program?   It is in Max.   You can also do a pay per return with ATX if this is your only 709 for the year?

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1

lol just did one for 11 million.  Many of my clients chose to use up lifetime exemption before it gets eliminated or lowered.   Separate return and did Dad and Mom give gift? Was son married and the gift to both of them? Many things to consider. 

Big thing to remember is that in the past the 4868 automatically extended the 709 but not this year.    The form 8892 must be filed today.  its simple, just name and address. 

I usually have 3-4 gift returns a year, this year its 9 so far.  Of course some clients haven't come in yet thinking everything is 5/17

• Like 2

The way I read it if tp files 4868 the 709 gets auto extended. "Any extension of time granted for filing your calendar year 2020 federal income tax return will also automatically extend the time to file your 2020 federal gift tax return. Income tax extensions are made by using Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, or Form 2350, Application for Extension of Time To File U.S. Income Tax Return. You may only use these forms to extend the time for filing your gift tax return if you are also requesting an extension of time to file your income tax return. Did I read this wrong or do I need to file? No Tax is due.

If no tax is due, file when you get the time.  No extension needed.  Penalties and late filing charges are based on the amount due ($0 X $0 = $0)  IRS uses the 709 just to keep track of lifetime gift amounts.  I rarely do gift tax returns during tax season but put them off until summer.  States may have different rules, so do check there.

• Like 1