ATX Community

DELAWARE HELP PLEASE.

TAXMAN

I have tp (single)with DE income and virginia income. Almost even amounts. What I have though is about 18k in Schedule a deductions. Do I show on de part year return only those that was paid in DE?. Most of Ded's was from Residence in VA.

It appears better to be full year and take credit for VA. Is this normal?

You don't prorate the DE Sch A deductions, the form will do that for you. The Federal AGI and full DE schedule A from pg 2 of the DE return come over to page one and the tax is calculated on that, and then the tax is prorated for the % of DE income compared to the Federal.  That is how the state gets someone into the higher brackets. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TAXMAN said:

Judy it is asking for a signed copy of the other state return on the DE full year resident return.  Does it have to signed(va py return). If I attach complete copy of VA py return doesn't the VA EF form take care of that?

Yes, the software should attach the required copy if you are e-filing the returns.

DE allows a part-year resident to choose to file either as PY or as full year resident return, so if you are choosing to file as full year resident, make sure to claim a credit for any tax paid to other states that is also being taxed in DE. Also, if you do claim other states' taxes as a credit, then don't take those as a deduction on the DE Sch A.