ATX Community

Amending MFS to MFJ

Erin

MFS to MFJ amendment. I have a client who lives in WA and has a rental property in CA. She got married this year and her husband already filed a 2020 MFS return (ugh). I understand that the best way to handle is to amend the husband's return and add her info. But.....she has all this carryover data for the rental and other things. How can I do this without having to manually move over all of her rental stuff? Or, do I have to create his MFS return, amend and then add all of her stuff (nightmare)? Any tips?

I don't use ATX, so this will depend on how your software works. When I don't have a client in my system or don't have both spouses in my system, here's how I prepare an amendment. In your scenario, I'd roll over my continuing client. Then I'd move her to Spouse and add the Taxpayer's identifying info, because he's the one that already filed, so he's the one we're amending. (Alternatively, you can leave her as Taxpayer IF neither had filed yet or she's the one that filed.)

Then I prepare the return as if it's an original joint return. When I have it the way I want it for an original joint return, I save it and call up an amendment (however your software requires). However, when it asks me if I want to move the current information to column A, I answer NO. I want my prepared return to be the AMENDED version, column C. Then, I just type in his information in column A, noting any refunds already received or balances paid.