ATX Community

Is anyone else behind? I'm feeling like a loser.

jasdlm

so far behind, too.  Glad to know I'm not the only one.  Me too, have a client who owes, I've redone twice, and still the same.  He says it isn't fair.  I said, not enough withholding.  Told him the same last year.  Ready to send him on his way. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, schirallicpa said:

I've never been so far behind.  Really trying to figure out how to make a career change!

After 42 years of tax seasons, I feel the same way. This has been the worst for too many reasons. I am just trying to stick it out until 65 (16 months!) so that I can get Medicare in place of ACA. I don't even know that my business is worth selling. I wish that I didn't love most of my clients, but I honestly am sick of the liability and stress of doing it on my own and feeling guilty every time I do something not work related. 

• Like 5

20 hours ago, jasdlm said:
21 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

feeling guilty every time I do something not work related.

THIS!!!

STOP IT. STOP IT RIGHT NOW.  If you don't take care of yourself, you will burn out and get stress illnesses.  I came to this realization some years ago and stopped working one day a week.  Usually, but not always, Sunday.  Found out that if I took a day for myself I got more done the other six days than in uninterrupted seven without end.  Any client who expects instant response any day or any time of day is a client who does not respect us and who is definitely under-paying us.  For me, if you want 24/7 instant response, you had better be be a close family member.  Anyone else gets me as I choose to respond.  If they don't like that, they can go down the street to someone else, and (likely) pay more for poorer-quality work.

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, Catherine said:

STOP IT. STOP IT RIGHT NOW.  If you don't take care of yourself, you will burn out and get stress illnesses.  I came to this realization some years ago and stopped working one day a week.  Usually, but not always, Sunday.  Found out that if I took a day for myself I got more done the other six days than in uninterrupted seven without end.  Any client who expects instant response any day or any time of day is a client who does not respect us and who is definitely under-paying us.  For me, if you want 24/7 instant response, you had better be be a close family member.  Anyone else gets me as I choose to respond.  If they don't like that, they can go down the street to someone else, and (likely) pay more for poorer-quality work.

I definitely aspire to reach this level of comfort/confidence in my practice management.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

After 42 years of tax seasons, I feel the same way. This has been the worst for too many reasons. I am just trying to stick it out until 65 (16 months!) so that I can get Medicare in place of ACA. I don't even know that my business is worth selling. I wish that I didn't love most of my clients, but I honestly am sick of the liability and stress of doing it on my own and feeling guilty every time I do something not work related. 

Is it possible you can just scale back?  

I'm at a point in life where I don't actually "need" the money.  This year has been quite stressful and I admit it's been quite freeing to play the Seinfeld Soup Nazi and tell clients this is their last year. 

For the clients where there is mutual respect, I'll keep doing returns for several years.  The ones that want to be demanding jerks can do so elsewhere. 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, kathyc2 said:

Is it possible you can just scale back?  

I'm at a point in life where I don't actually "need" the money.  

That's what I have done. I have scaled back to the point where it's sustainable, a bit less than half time.

I plan to keep working as long as my health will let me, since I still enjoy what I do and I like almost all of the clients I have left.

Admittedly, it's much easier to do this, since my practice is small business write up, payroll, and business entity tax returns.

The only personal tax return clients that I have left are people that I like.

• Like 5

I've cut out anything I don't enjoy.  I only work for a few hours each day, even during tax season.  You do need to take care of yourself!  You've been working in tax for 42 years!  42 years!  Stop right now and take a walk.  And tell yourself you will do the same tomorrow. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

And sometimes it doesn't take much.  I needed a break and went and pulled garlic mustard (invasive weed) for ten minutes.  Out in the fresh air, listening to the birds, watching the puppy next door try to herd a flower pot, and getting rids of weeds before they flowered.  I felt great afterwards, and was able to come back to my computer refreshed.

• Like 8

While I have been able to keep up my regular work schedule I have now hit a wall with the usual procrastination and getting information has become like pulling teeth.  It’s the same people every year but with the month extension they use it as a license to torture me.  Only answer to that is price increase.  I also have a few EMS workers who are testing for Covid at NY metro airports as contract workers.  They all talk among themselves saying they should deduct meals, mileage, parking, tolls, masks (like they’re not supplied) and haircuts!  My answer is to use someone who will help you with that.  Two took my advice, what a relief.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1