ATX Community

Combo number 1. If you don't know the answer, keep it in mind for future filings and let me know please

Pacun

I have a client that brought 2019 and 2020 documents.  I am ready to efile.  2019 he owes 1K. 2020, he will get a refund for 2K (stimulus helped).

I want to efile 2019 first and wait until the account shows that he owes the money so when 2020 shows up, the IRS is ready to get its money.  How long do you think I should wait after I efile 2019 if I am going to efile both years?

Child efiled by mistake for 2020. I filed 1040X freeing up his exemption so that parents can claim him. Parents tried to efile last month but it was rejected because child SS number was used on another return. How long do you think I need to wait before I efile parents with the child as a dependent?

I tried to help a client with an online payment plan but when we entered the account and routing numbers to have the money withdrawn every month, we were asked for a name and SS number. This client has an ITIN and we couldn't continue. I asked him to call and see what happens.  I guess people with ITIN cannot do on line payment plans. 

If the child's 1040X was paper filed, you should wait until it shows up on the "where's my amended return" link at irs.gov.  That can take months.  I'm glad to hear that efiled amendments are going through quickly and allowing parents to efile sooner.  We must have a dozen of these scenarios every year in our office.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sara EA said:

If the child's 1040X was paper filed, you should wait until it shows up on the "where's my amended return" link at irs.gov.  That can take months.  I'm glad to hear that efiled amendments are going through quickly and allowing parents to efile sooner.  We must have a dozen of these scenarios every year in our office.

I guess if the amendment is for a filer, then the social security number is freed soon. In my case, mother claimed child and when grandmother claimed the same child it was rejected. I amended mother to free up child's social security number and it has been a month and still grand mother's return gets rejected.  In my case, I think I will have to wait until the 1040X is completely processed before I can efile grandmother's.

To efile 1040X, the original return MUST have been efiled. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1