ATX Community

Getting Calls on No Federal Estimated Withdrawal

FDNY

Received a few calls that automatic state estimated tax withdrawals occurred on the 15th but no federal.  I tell them to wait, it will happen.

Just found out that an amended return filed in March 2020 was processed, just thought I would pass that little tidbit along.

• Like 3

Who is taking the responsibility for making the payments, you or your client?   I do payroll for some clients and sometimes I receive calls like I closed my bank or how come you didn’t tell me they are taking out the money on the 15th so I can deposit more to cover the payment etc....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ILLMAS said:

Who is taking the responsibility for making the payments, you or your client?   I do payroll for some clients and sometimes I receive calls like I closed my bank or how come you didn’t tell me they are taking out the money on the 15th so I can deposit more to cover the payment etc....

I try to keep the ball in the client's court for this very reason.  I give them Forms 1040-ES and tell them to write checks.  I have a handful that want me to have IRS directly debit their account when I submit the e-file.   I'm sure that handful of people now think I screwed something up.  They'll be sweet about, but I know what they're thinking, and I know I'll be dealing with their phone calls this week.  Got a text Friday, in fact.  I'm just glad 95% of my people who owe at filing pay with 1040-Vs and checks because they don't want IRS knowing their bank account information.  /s

• Like 6

12 hours ago, RitaB said:

I'm just glad 95% of my people who owe at filing pay with 1040-Vs and checks because they don't want IRS knowing their bank account information.

That reasoning always makes me laugh.  If they are getting a refund or a stimulus check, they are more than willing to let the IRS "know" their bank info.  Do they really think the IRS can't get their bank info any time they want?  (The easiest way is with Form 1099-INT, which the agency gets every year.)  If the IRS wants to seize your bank account, they will seize your bank account whether or not you gave them the specifics.

The majority of my clients pay balance dues and ES with direct debit, and it has always worked smoothly.  Last year when the IRS was partially closed I was getting calls from clients frantic because their paper checks had not been cashed, although eventually they were.

• Like 2

When paying by check, your client is sending a check with the magnetic information for his bank routing and account numbers on it, as well as his signature, and probably even his branch's name and address printed on it.

I'd be more worried about thieves who steal mail they know contains checks, "washing" the checks, and using them to steal everything from bank accounts.

• Like 4