ATX Community

My wish for ATX

schirallicpa

I think the license info doesn't roll over because we are supposed to ID everybody every year. I have also noticed that university information must be entered every year by IRS requirements and they don't roll over anymore.

For my practice and taste, ATX is the best in the market. Stand alone installation, who opens the program knows what forms and what questions to ask (at least that's what I believe), interface and price look good. 

• Like 8

I think it's a CT requirement. If I hadn't had to check with my clients this year, I would've missed at least two who had their wallets/purses stolen and got new DLs with new #s and dates and a whole bunch of clients who didn't realize that 2021 is their renewal year until I brought it up. But I think it's a pain.

CT, CA, and a list of other states also require me to confirm address &/or contact information every year. My generic Have you moved? is a good starting point, but I have to ask more questions each year.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

And the fact that your DL# NEVER CHANGES. At least not in MD. I've had the same license # since I was a teenager.

Talking about MD.... I have noticed that each time I efile, I have to check mark that I have verify IDs and address... and who knows what else I am verifying. This is new this year.

• Like 2

Lion, CT doesn't require a driver license.  If you have one in there that expired, you do get a diagnostic in UltraTax and can't efile unless you update it or put "none provided."  School info rolls over in our program.  Why would anyone have to verify ID every year if they already have it?  It's the same person, no?  Just making work for us.  I had friends who were adopting a child and the process took so long their blood tests expired.  Did their blood types change in six months?  Another friend was albino and legally blind but kept having to be recertified.  Like her genes changed?  I think a lot of this constant verification is because the regulators either don't think or do it just because they can.

But all my NY commuters are required to have DLs to e-file, so CT requires me to re-confirm it each year. Yeah, they ask for all this stuff to CYA when we're the ones that know whether a client is new to us or known for decades. It's as much a waste of time as all those codes I have to get on my cell and enter all day long, even though it's just me in my home office in a locked house on a desktop system that'd be hard to lug away. I agree, just because they can.

• Like 2

And we have a property tax refund return here in MN.  I wish they would rollover that info!  But no, we have to re-enter address (the return only applies to your home, so they truly could use the same address from the 1040 and the state), Property ID number or landlord info, county, etc.  Sure, there are always a handful of folks who have moved, but come on. 
Can't even count how many times I've asked for that......

On 4/20/2021 at 7:28 PM, Abby Normal said:

And the fact that your DL# NEVER CHANGES. At least not in MD. I've had the same license # since I was a teenager.

Mine changed!  MA used to use our ssn's as our license numbers.  When they stopped doing THAT, we all got new numbers.  Since then, it has not changed.

I have always had the same DL# as well.  It’s six digits long. In the intervening years, NC added another digit to all license numbers. 

Now, whenever I give my license number, the person almost always asks for the “last digit”.  Sometime they even insist the number isn’t long enough, plus they don’t believe me when I tell them to add a “0” at the beginning. So I have to explain that I’m so old my DL number should be close to 0000001. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Yardley, ATX will now send an email or text to the client, for a fee of course.  On the 1040 Main Info tab, scroll down to the bottom of the page and see the info on Versicom.

8 hours ago, Yardley CPA said:

Not sure if this was posted or not but, My Wish For ATX is to have them send the client an email notification or text that the return was efiled and approved.  It would be a nice touch to receive that automatically once the return is approved.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lynn EA USTCP in Louisiana said:

Yardley, ATX will now send an email or text to the client, for a fee of course.  On the 1040 Main Info tab, scroll down to the bottom of the page and see the info on Versicom.

I guess I should have expected this, Lynn...anything is possible when you throw in some $$$. 

• Like 3

NY has a DOC ID on the license which changes with each renewal. The first 3 characters of this 10 character field are a requirement for NY efile.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, schirallicpa said:

well -can I also keep my vehicles on the schedule C vehicle worksheet?  Is it really necessary to put these on the fixed assets when youre just taking standard?  I've added my own line on page 2 of Schedule c - "mileage expense that used to go on line 9"

PLEASE!!!

• Like 1