ATX Community

unemployment

Tracy Lee

I opened the tax returns of several clients that were already completed, efiled and accepted, prior to the unemployment $10,200.00 exclusion, with the returns calculated with all the UC fully taxed.

However ATX Max updated those returns with the exclusions, when I opened them recently, and changed my tax return.   Grrrrr!  Has anyone else had that problem?  How did you adjust it back to the original tax return that was filed?

Is there a way to lock a tax return after it has been efiled and accepted?

Same thing is happening in Ultratax.  The IRS is telling people not to amend, that they will automatically correct and issue refunds starting in May or so.  The exception is when a taxpayer was not eligible for a credit or tax break so never filed the relevant form.  If excluding unemployment now lowers their income enough to make them eligible, amendments will be needed.  I have a hunch most state returns will need to be amended.  I admire you for getting to amendments now.  I have so many original returns to do I'm a month behind.  Those amends are going to have to wait.

Something similar to me.  But I hadn't efiled it yet.  The fed exclusion was already there.  I added it back to Ky when they made their decision.  But ATX had not yet updated for Ky.  When I went to efile, I had to recreate the efile because it was several days.  I opened the return and ATX had updated for KY and added UI back to Ky so I  had it added twice.  I saw the increased amount owed and found the reason.  I had to delete my original add back and all was well.  Like Abby, I make pdf copies for my file so I'll have a record of what I did.  I also don't have to open the program up to look at someone's return later when a question comes up.

• Like 1

Is anybody filing "superseded" married-separate tax returns for excess-of-150k-AGI clients with unemployment income who filed jointly before the unemployment exclusion was born? It doesn't look like IRS's automatic unemployment refund program is going to address these taxpayers. 3% of my client base is affected by this situation.