ATX Community

The email I got from a client today:

jasdlm

"I ’m so glad for your sake that your deadline isn’t as tight as usual this year."

I so wish this were true.  Trying to muster the strength for 17 more days (16.5 but who's counting).

I have to finish 10 returns/day to make it, and the returns I have left are stinky :(.

They're actually mostly all stinky; why don't I get clients with 2 W2s and a 1098?

Pity Party, right here at my desk.  I'm drinking a latte and a soda at the same time!!! 

• Like 7

How many returns are people usually able to get through in a day?  I can do maybe 15 on a Saturday or Sunday, but weekdays are much less productive.  

I think Jim on this board does 1000 per season by himself.  Unreal!

Curious to know how others pace.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jasdlm said:

How many returns are people usually able to get through in a day?

Three or four, assuming I have ALL the information. But there is almost always something missing!  Then there is the long process of writing it up and chasing the client for all the answers NOT yet provided. Or the "wait, what about my second job?" when you think you're done and it turns out they never gave you the new W2. One year a client forgot to tell us about a new baby!  Picked up the return, brought it home for signatures, called the next day "where's the baby?" when she never gave us any info at all.

Between three of us, we do about 700 returns in a season (personal and corporations and entities).  Except for *some* of the dependent kids with summer jobs, almost all are a long hard slog.  

• Like 5

I am winding down, but have about 10 returns in various stages of done-ness.  Working on a couple right now in which they have HUGE noncash charitable.  I have warned them for years about donations.  Now you need to get an appraisal of any amounts over $5k of similar items to get it through e-file.  Yay, a reason to winnow it down.  (Although you could say that some of it is 'art' & some is 'household stuff' and some is clothing)

• Like 4

Fifteen returns in a day!  You are superhuman!  The only times I can do that is when they were all done and checked and finally that last bit of missing info came in.  Even then, I don't think I'd make 15.  Missing info is the worst.  Email a client with three questions, and you get two answered.  Heck, tonight I emailed a client with two questions and got an answer to one.  Really?  Most of my returns are fairly complex--even the "easy" ones turn into hours of work when they leave a note that they sold some land or hunting cabin they've had for years and the stock their grandfather gave them when they were born.  Tonight I picked up a normally straightforward return and found that she had her daughter's and boyfriend's in there too.  Will it ever end???

• Like 7

My oddest current situation is a client who ignores my questions about virtual currency transactions, even though I've sent multiple emails.  Makes me strongly suspect the answer is "yes".  So he goes on extension until he replies.  

• Like 7

10 hours ago, joanmcq said:

I am winding down, but have about 10 returns in various stages of done-ness.  Working on a couple right now in which they have HUGE noncash charitable.  I have warned them for years about donations.  Now you need to get an appraisal of any amounts over $5k of similar items to get it through e-file.  Yay, a reason to winnow it down.  (Although you could say that some of it is 'art' & some is 'household stuff' and some is clothing)

Maybe the real "art" is in their valuation method...

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

I have averaged 24 returns per week this season.  (Beginning last week of January.)  I've worked six days a week, but missed two Saturdays and a Monday.  Wow, it puts you so far behind.  I have a lot of chatterboxes, and I may or may not be one myself, and a few bookkeeping/payroll clients that I see every week.  No support staff, except the Lord.  He's good, though.

Y'all are correct; the ones in the stack right now are stinky and/or the "Oh, that [W-2] should be there..."  Uh, huh, and do you think I didn't look five times before I asked you for it?  

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

I have no employees and prepare 300 tax returns. I was 99% wrapped up by 4/15 because I anticipated the extended tax return date and informed clients in my annual letter that such an event would not change their usual 3/31 deadline to provide all of their information. Their annual questionnaire included new lines for confirming and providing their 1st and 2nd Stimulus refunds as well as data for the other new issues. My clients are well-trained and almost all of them complied; the others are looking for a new tax preparer - LOL. Unfortunately, the "superseding tax return" issue then reared it's ugly head so I was forced to postpone my 4/16 vacation. Alas, the best laid plans of mice and men .......... 

• Like 6

On 5/4/2021 at 1:44 PM, Matthew in the PNW said:

We have a few newer preparers and I was supposed to do review, but ended up getting all the complex returns, so it varies from two days per return to one return in 3 hours. I do NOT want to know my actual average. 😖😥 We did the PPP loans in our office so we don't have an end in sight on the return front.

And you do not have State, School, or municipal tax returns.   If I only dealt with 1040, I could triple my return count.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jack from Ohio said:

And you do not have State, School, or municipal tax returns.   If I only dealt with 1040, I could triple my return count.

I have not figured out how to make the RITA return and ATX be friends.  I have resorted to paper filing since I only have 3 clients affected.  I do not enjoy the Ohio State/Local/School District tax returns.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jasdlm said:

I have not figured out how to make the RITA return and ATX be friends.  I have resorted to paper filing since I only have 3 clients affected.  I do not enjoy the Ohio State/Local/School District tax returns.  

We do not attempt to e-file RITA.  Too many bad experiences.  We use the generic Ohio for 95% of our municipal returns. 

If you need assistance, we are quite familiar with ATX and muni returns.  Send me a PM, I will be glad to assist you.

• Like 4

OMG yes, I have 1 Ohio return and it drives me nuts every year.  Between SD, RITA, and which ones do or don't allow Direct Debit.  Usually I feel spoiled, being in MN.  Not this year, since we're STILL waiting on the Legislature to pass a tax conformity bill for last year.  Gave up, today I've been emailing all clients I held.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 4:45 PM, GLJEANNE said:

OMG yes, I have 1 Ohio return and it drives me nuts every year.  Between SD, RITA, and which ones do or don't allow Direct Debit.  Usually I feel spoiled, being in MN.  Not this year, since we're STILL waiting on the Legislature to pass a tax conformity bill for last year.  Gave up, today I've been emailing all clients I held.

If you need any assistance with OHIO return, send me a PM, and I will assist you.  I work part time at a firm, and we will do1,800-2,000 OHIO returns every year.  I can help you.

• Like 3