ATX Community

How to report earned income with paying SE

Pacun

US citizen living in SPAIN sin 2018, earned $18K in spain. I want to report HH because she has a child and I want to get additional child tax credit. If I use ex-line 21 and enter 18K, no additional child tax credit.

Thank you in advance.

EIC is not in play here. I need to enter earned income in a way that is not SE taxed and is able to be considered for addition child tax credit.

I will try Form 2555 and see what happens.  I expect this person to get $1,400 refund.

2 hours ago, Pacun said:

able to be considered for addition child tax credit.

I will try Form 2555 and see what happens. 

You cannot take ACTC and also file form 2555.  

Are you sure you understand what is involved for filing taxes for a U.S. citizen working abroad?

Form 2555 is not something to experiment with.

• Like 1

Just finished a client who worked in the UK all year and all earned income was excluded on 2555. (He did have a few k US investment income.) He got the first but not the second EIP, and the program was calculating a recovery for the second. Based on his foreign income, he made too much to get either.  I looked it up and believe it or not, his reduced US income made him eligible.  My point is that every credit has its own quirks, and in our job we learn something new every day (or hour). 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, DANRVAN said:

Are you sure you understand what is involved for filing taxes for a U.S. citizen working abroad?

Maybe not. But I know the end result.

I will find a way for this person to file as HH, not pay SE taxes, and to get $1400 refund.

And as mentioned by someone else... we learn something new every day. If we wait to be master on something before we dive in, we would not have filed our first 100 returns because among those 100 returns the we filed a long time ago, there were a couple that were above out head.