ATX Community

Superseded MFS Tax Returns re: Disqualified Joint Unemployment Exclusion

Bobby1

Is anybody filing "superseded" married-separate tax returns for excess-of-150k-AGI clients with unemployment income who filed jointly before the unemployment exclusion was born? It doesn't look like IRS's automatic unemployment refund program is going to address these taxpayers. 3% of my client base is affected by this situation.

Thank you for your reply! Interesting podcast. He mentioned that IRS may not recognize the 5/17 extended due date for superseding tax returns. Filing an extension doesn't postpone the date for the joint-to-MFS maneuver as it would for other situations. But my professional integrity demands me to proceed onward unlike some of my colleagues who are choosing to ignore the situation. I just can't ignore it because most of my clients are eligible for an additional $2,200 refund minus any additional overall tax from filing separately. This has been the craziest Tax Season ever. Thanks again!