ATX Community

N/T - Post-filing season

jklcpa

Once the work goes back to a lighter load, each year I go through an adjustment to my new schedule. I don't have any current personal works in progress, so I'll have to get something going soon so that I don't end up wandering aimlessly around the house or yard. My husband just watches and smiles knowing it's going to happen. 😆

186450515_180399890652163_4718140349623179807_n.jpg.299b149ea44493150b007b25a5708cee.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

More leisure activities are on my calendar.  This tax season has been too long, too hectic, too stressful, and felt like two seasons in one. I'm looking to go to a better place before too long.  I hope all of you do too.

• Like 5

My wife "suggested" I get a hobby to get out of the house so I decided to take up golf again.  I played almost every day 40 years ago, before getting married and the kids came along.  First lesson is next week so I can correct my bad habits before I  start up again.  I agree with FDNY. I can't remember a tax season as bad as what we just went through.

• Like 5

New grandbaby, due ANY DAY NOW!!!!! should keep me busy.  

I avae never had so many PITA clients as this year.  Even generally good clients turned into client-zillas on occasion, and every referral client from existing good clients was someone - well, let's just say it's a good thing I live so far from RitaB, or her daisies would be super-fertilized this year!

• Like 7

I started working on my van yesterday.  It's been sitting for two years, since it came back from Burning Man in 2019.  We are wondering if it still runs (1989 Ram 300).

If there wasn't such a shortage of used vehicles, I'd look for a trailer & a pickup truck to pull it.  Ah well, if it doesn't run, I'll figure something out.

• Like 2

For the first time in quite awhile I screwed up on a client return. I apologized and advised I would return their fee. They were gracious and refused only to find I had later saved them a bunch on an item they had overlooked. This has surely been the most screwed up tax season I personally have experienced in almost forty years of being a taxguy. Now the Congress is going to rehash preparer oversight. The last time around I drove in excess of 150 miles to take a test which embodied very little of what I see each tax season. The test center was located in a non-descript tiny strip mall buried in a large metro area which took ages to locate. I passed but to this day I am unsure how I did. At last I can now address the plant world overwhelming the yard.

• Like 2

Fresno State vs UCLA at the Rose Bowl.   A bucket list item gets scratched off this year.

NATP Tax Seminar (Live) in Las Vegas in September.   Time to start using the Travel account again in my GL again.   I don't think a suite is extravagant, since the buffet does not come included.  Maybe there will be live stage shows again (saw Jersey Boys last time we went to Vegas for a tax seminar).

Seriously considering leaving California.   It is not the state I grew up in, nor the state I have called home all my life after this pandemic.  I won't submit myself to these violations again.  Looking at Texas, Idaho and Nevada.  I can't convince my wife that Tennessee is as beautiful as she is.   That would be my choice, but I don't get a full vote.

Tom
Modesto, CA

Edited by jklcpa
removed references to pers'l freedoms, context remains.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cbslee said:

The lowest taxed state including all taxes is "West Virginia"

The escapees stuff talks about many additional aspects.  Health care access is a big factor before medicare age, less so but still worth considering, once medicare age is reached.  The escapees stuff will have items not necessarily highly important here, such as vehicle licensing and insurance, drivers license information (do they require actual presence to renew), and voting/jury duty issues.  It will have little or no discussion amount sticks and bricks costs since it is designed for a mobile life.

I have not reviewed it recently, but if not included, I would also consider things such as IHSS (can family member be a provider, and does the state tax the payments), and other services which someone may need as they get older or develop/have qualifying needs.

As the song says, "Almost heaven, West Virginia" but I've never been there.  Idaho is spectacularly beautiful - but beware if you enjoy veggie gardening, because there are a lot of areas with soil contaminated from mine tailings, that have cautionary levels of arsenic in them.  

How about you do your research, figure out three or four top contenders, then take you and your wife to visit ATX friends in the area?  Tour around, talk about what it's like to live nearby.  Massachusetts' isn't on much of anyone's "let's move here!" list - but if NH gets on the short list, I'd be happy to introduce you to friends who live there.

My vote would be for Virginia.  Tom, you and wife should tour the state. It is beautiful and has something for everyone with its diverse georgraphy, climate, low cost of living in some of the areas, and very friendly people once away from the I-95 corridor. It is more blue-leaning than most of the others you've listed, but again, that is mostly in the metro area, and I don't think you'd be unhappy a little further west of that. :)

• Like 4

Texas is in the center of the country, so we could travel to a lot of Square Dances, and our kids could fly in to see us from where ever they are living.   We have a few relatives there.   

Nevada, Reno specifically, because my son lives there and it is 45 minutes from his house to the lift chair at Mt. Rose.   I would definitely get a season pass.  Also, the Washoe Valley has some spectacular scenery looking at the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada mountains.   

Idaho - well because half the state is now from California, and it is a very beautiful state.  I have been to Boise several times and always loved it.   Not too far from Yellowstone, the second greatest National park behind Yosemite.  We also have some relatives in ID.   

I have been to Virginia, but only Richmond and south of DC, so that is what I think of when I think of VA.  Probably unfair to judge the whole state by what I have seen.  

I would kill or die for a home like Rita has, it is one of the most memorable homes and properties I have ever visited.   While we were there, I just drove around the country and every place I looked felt like I could make it my home.   Been to Nashville a couple of times and loved it.   Been to Memphis, it was so-so.   But everywhere in the country that I went was green and beautiful.

One advantage of the pandemic is we moved 75-80% of our clients to virtual.   I expected to lose about 20% of my clients, but so far we have about 95% retention for the year, which is very close to our historical average.  So I could move anywhere, and do my CPE in Reno and Southern CA every year (and sneak in a visit to my kids when I do) and keep a majority of my clients.   Just need to make sure I have killer internet speeds where ever we move.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 2

We have been in VA about a year a half and love it.  The people are genuinely kind, real southern hospitality, and it is beautiful here in the Shenandoah Valley.  Real estate taxes are less than a quarter of what we paid in CT, gas is cheaper, utilities and insurance are less, roads are in great condition, state budget is healthy.  Housing is expensive though, and we aren't in the beltway.  Our son lives 40 miles away in WV.  It too is a beautiful state with low housing and property tax costs.  You can get any environment you want there--mountains, plains, rivers and lakes.  I don't know why it hasn't been discovered by the masses yet.  What is neat about both states is they have history everywhere--castles, plantations, revolutionary and civil war battlefields, underground railroad sites, canals that existed before the rails dominated.  Take some vacations this year to explore potential new home sites.  Looking at the zillions of returns we have on extension, and all those state returns that will have to be amended after the late federal changes, it looks to me like another tax season that will never end.  This one will hurt more because last year we couldn't go anywhere even if we had time; this year we sort of can....

• Like 4

23 hours ago, BulldogTom said:

Texas is in the center of the country, so we could travel to a lot of Square Dances, and our kids could fly in to see us from where ever they are living.   We have a few relatives there.   

Nevada, Reno specifically, because my son lives there and it is 45 minutes from his house to the lift chair at Mt. Rose.   I would definitely get a season pass.  Also, the Washoe Valley has some spectacular scenery looking at the eastern slope of the Sierra Nevada mountains.   

Idaho - well because half the state is now from California, and it is a very beautiful state.  I have been to Boise several times and always loved it.   Not too far from Yellowstone, the second greatest National park behind Yosemite.  We also have some relatives in ID.   

I have been to Virginia, but only Richmond and south of DC, so that is what I think of when I think of VA.  Probably unfair to judge the whole state by what I have seen.  

I would kill or die for a home like Rita has, it is one of the most memorable homes and properties I have ever visited.   While we were there, I just drove around the country and every place I looked felt like I could make it my home.   Been to Nashville a couple of times and loved it.   Been to Memphis, it was so-so.   But everywhere in the country that I went was green and beautiful.

One advantage of the pandemic is we moved 75-80% of our clients to virtual.   I expected to lose about 20% of my clients, but so far we have about 95% retention for the year, which is very close to our historical average.  So I could move anywhere, and do my CPE in Reno and Southern CA every year (and sneak in a visit to my kids when I do) and keep a majority of my clients.   Just need to make sure I have killer internet speeds where ever we move.

Tom
Modesto, CA

The view of the Sierra from Verdi is what made me want to move!  Having fast internet was my only restriction on where I could live.  I ended up losing about half my clients & picked up a few more, but since I no longer have a mortgage it doesn't matter. 

I'm a desert rat so the wide open, bleak landscapes just make my heart sing.  A pox on all you that prefer green humidity to the desert!!

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, joanmcq said:

The view of the Sierra from Verdi is what made me want to move!  Having fast internet was my only restriction on where I could live.  I ended up losing about half my clients & picked up a few more, but since I no longer have a mortgage it doesn't matter. 

I'm a desert rat so the wide open, bleak landscapes just make my heart sing.  A pox on all you that prefer green humidity to the desert!!

Are you in Verdi?   If so I drive past you every time I go to see my son.   Which is quite a bit.  That area out there was nothing a decade ago, now everyone wants to live there.   The view of the Sierras  as you go past Boomtown is spectacular.   

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1

Recently I read an article on 50 best places to live in America.  Mostly small cities near schools, health care, outdoor activities, entertainment and good food and drink.  I live near two of them, Cambridge and Boston.  While on the more expensive side it has everything I mentioned.  But my preference if I eventually get my way I would spend the winter in Key West, specifically the Truman Annex area.  Don’t need a car, walk and bike everywhere, entertainment and music in the streets, Cuban food, fresh seafood, great sunsets,  an airport, and a hospital.  Brunch everyday with unlimited mimosas.  What’s not to like.