ATX Community

Alternative e to ATX

M7047

I've been thinking of switching software, the price for ATX Max is just getting out of hand for my business size and that 95.00 processing fee to download software is beyond ridiculous! . I have about 160 paid returns and a couple of partnerships.

Does anyone have experience with other software and care to offer pros and cons? I have an email from Drake and I understand a lot of people like them once they get on to their system. Any others...

You won't beat Drake in this price range.  You owe it to yourself to take a good hard look at it.  I switched from ATX to Drake during the 2012 meltdown.  I only wish the ATX meltdown had happened 10 years earlier so I could have gotten on with the transition.   Can't imagine using anything but Drake now. It's lightning fast, uses very little resources, and customer service simply cannot be beat.  There's a bit of a learning curve ditching forms entry and going to data screens, but it's just a matter of giving up a crutch.  I switched in January of that year and was moderately up to speed within a couple of weeks.  One you get the hang of it, Drake will make you more efficient, which translates into more profit.  Or more free time, whatever you prefer. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I've been reviewing Pro Series and I'm very impressed with what I've been exposed to so far.  It has a similar feel and layout to ATX and it's program offers form based entry which I prefer.  The package also provides access to a portal and advanced calculations as part of the base price.  Their staff have been very receptive my questions.  I highly recommend downloading the trial version and seeing if it fits your needs.  Good luck. 

• Like 1

Another option to consider, if you actually like ATX otherwise, is to downgrade to the 1040 package and just pay the PPR cost for the partnerships, about $35 each.  I did that and have saved a lot of money while still keeping the program that I know.  I get just 3 states and have clients in 7 states so pay for the extra states but, ummm, build it into their invoice.  I bill by time and it does take time to add money to the account and download the extra state/form.  My renewal for 1040 is $843, a far cry from the MAX cost. 

• Like 3

While I switched from ATX to Drake 3 tax seasons ago, if the choice was between ATX pre 2012 and Drake , I would choose ATX pre 2012.

For me, preparing returns on Drake takes a little longer because their entry screens  have so much stuff squeezed into them, it's hard to find things sometimes.

In addition there are several annoying entry screens, that I have no idea where they are, the only way I find them is with their search function

which works well. In addition there is the extra time spent between going back and forth between entry screens and looking at form screens.

Just to be clear I am satisfied with my decision to switch to Drake. However Drake is not a perfect program, it has it's pros and cons.

• Thanks 1

I used ATX for a few years, prior that, I tried so many different ones.   I used TaxWise, Drake, TaxAct, OPL, Ultra Tax (currently still use in my day job), and took trial on Proseries.   I am happy with ATX.  It is easy to find spot to enter data in ATX and efile process is simple and clear.   Yes, ATX has some customer service issue because they did not enough extended hours.   (ATX is a little more expensive compare with others and even dont allow do 1099Q , they told me need to upgrade another version with extra payments which is not nice.   )

You may try trial for all, and find the one you like the most.  :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cbslee said:

While I switched from ATX to Drake 3 tax seasons ago, if the choice was between ATX pre 2012 and Drake , I would choose ATX pre 2012.

For me, preparing returns on Drake takes a little longer because their entry screens  have so much stuff squeezed into them, it's hard to find things sometimes.

In addition there are several annoying entry screens, that I have no idea where they are, the only way I find them is with their search function

which works well. In addition there is the extra time spent between going back and forth between entry screens and looking at form screens.

Just to be clear I am satisfied with my decision to switch to Drake. However Drake is not a perfect program, it has it's pros and cons.

Just curious.  Do you use keyboard shortcuts and macros?  That will significantly speed up your efficiency if you're not taking advantage of them. (Or have we talked about this on another thread?  I can't remember. )  Once I settled in with Drake, I realized the mouse was often slowing me down. 

• Like 1

Getting faster is not a top priority for me, since I have a niche practice mostly doing Business Entity Returns plus personal returns for the owners and their family.

I will only do between 50 and 60 tax returns this year and only 5 of those were non business related 1040s.

I also switched to Drake in the 2012-season debacle.  Yes, there was a learning curve (in late February!). Yes, some things are different.  Yes, there are annoyances (as there were with ATX, as well - no program is perfect and the ones that come significantly closer need another digit in the pricing, at least). I recommend you take a good hard look at Drake.  I helped a friend, years back when I was still with ATX, to do some returns on ProSeries.  I detested it so much that I never even considered using it.  Couldn't find a bleeping thing, couldn't search, couldn't trace any numbers back - I spent more time on those three returns than on any nine other returns ever.  And they were not complex; one straightforward S-corp with good trustworthy QB reports, one trust, and one personal.

• Like 1

Before anyone switches to a different software, they should get the trial version (can not print) which would be the prior years software. Would you buy a new car without test driving it?

In the last 6 years, besides Drake, I have used Lacerte 3 times, Pro Series twice, Pro-System fx once. They all have their different ways of handling things   such as depreciation and stock sales.

Drake has it all over the others in these categories, although Lacerte is close.  For Sch C, there are lnks right on the worksheet that take you to 8829, Depreciation, auto expenses

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Drake has a forms option similar to ATX.

Their price includes all types of tax returns and all states.  There is nothing additional to buy.  I think right now they have $400 off of their regular price of $1600 if it us purchased by May 31.

For me the frosting on the cake is their customer service which is the fastest, not only for taxes, but for any other you might use.  Most of the time the phone doesn't even ring when someone picks up the phone.    You don't have to leave a message, or send an email and wait until you get an answer.  You will get it right away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Max W said:

For me the frosting on the cake is their customer service which is the fastest, not only for taxes, but for any other you might use.  Most of the time the phone doesn't even ring when someone picks up the phone.    You don't have to leave a message, or send an email and wait until you get an answer.  You will get it right away.

I have only used email to Drake.  Usually California problems, a response was always within 30 minutes at most.  Most problems solved immediately.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, cbslee said:

The times I did try the Drake forms option, it seemed to me to be a pale imitation.

I have downloaded the Drake evaluation program and I  agree with this comment that the forms option is not close to what ATX offers.  And maybe it isn't meant to be, it's not a form based program essentially.  With that said, I'm not a Drake user and I'm sure those who are love the product as evidenced by comments in this ATX forum.  I prefer ATX.

• Like 1

I agree with Yardley.  I gave Drake a try twice as I did ProSeries and did like the newness like I had a new toy to play with.  But in the end I just feel comfortable with ATX, and for all it's problems and complaints we can all be like martyrs in the tax preparation world.  There's so much to be upset about, but it brings us closer together as we don't have to suffer in silence or isolation.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

FDNY, your humor is so appreciated!  Fortunately I have suffered very little in all the years (since 1997), I have used ATX.  Luck?  Good computer? Few problem clients?  Stars in alignment?  No idea but, for me, it ain't broke so I'm not fixing it and meets my needs.  I like how it works and, for me, the price is right. 

I did begin with CCH Pro something back in the mid-eighties when I first worked at a firm but that was filling out the sheets, sending away for coding and, well, ancient technology.

Now this program is like my comfy, broken in slippers.

• Like 3

I too made the switch to Drake after the 2012 debacle. Tried several other programs trying to save money. You get what you pay for. I just renewed Drake for next year. I use the Drake Accounting package as well and you just can't beat the price. Everything for $1345.00. If you purchase before May 31. Yes, it has a learning curve. Each year I learn more and become even more satisfied I made the switch. I agree with Max. Download a previous version of Drake for a test drive. I just learned yesterday that when completing a Sch C, Drake has a search function for finding the NAICS business code that is by far easier than scrolling through the codes looking for the one that is a match. 

• Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 3:03 PM, Terry D said:

I just learned yesterday

A couple of times a season, I stumble across some terrific little feature I didn't know was there.  Yes there are annoyances - as in every program.  Yes there are quirks - again, as in every program.  Ultimately, the best software for you is the one you are most comfortable with - but it is not only possible but sometimes imperative to switch to a new program.  With time, it will also become an old friend.

How many of us fought the switch from DOS-based programs years ago, after all?  I know I did.  New, different, and weird-seeming do not equate to worse.

• Like 1

As I look back through my records there was some ATX snafu in 2010 which had me change to TRX.  Of course, that was another pain, problem, and dispute with my credit card company in 2012/2013.  In 2012, I was looking for another forms based software company for my 100+ small return practice.  I changed over to TaxAct.  I've been with them since then.  I did not run into any huge problems with TaxAct not implementing changes within a reason amount of time this crazy tax season.

PS:  Happy that I found this forum again.  It's calmer and not susceptible to trolling comments.  Thank you :)

• Like 3

We find that you can't beat ATX for price and ease of use for 1099s, W2s, etc.  For our practice of maybe 1500+ returns, including lots of partnerships, S and C corps, trusts, estates, some nonprofits, and many complex but some simpler individual returns, ATX does not meet our needs.  We use UltraTax, which is expensive but very powerful and does almost everything we need.  It isn't perfect on states, but close.  A weakness is the tax projection module, which doesn't consider increases or decreases in credits depending on projected income.  Of course, they sell a separate projection piece, which I'm sure does a better job for a higher fee.

That brings me to an issue we are all seeing more and more.  Things that used to be included are now part of a separate package for a separate fee.  Even Quickfinders, which used to tell us all we needed to know, now has frequent references to "see our XXX book," sold separately of course.  You can't buy Adobe any way but subscription now (with constant reminders to upgrade to the next level).  Heck, Mahjong and solitaire used to come with your initial software but no more. I used to get a printed offering from Comcast showing what stations were included in which packages.  Now I can't even find it on the website, so I'm afraid to downgrade in the event we lose one of our few must-have stations.  Businesses are just too clever.

• Like 4