ATX Community

verifying ID

Marie

I have several first time filers (under 18) who are getting the letters about verifying their ID.  One client  has tried at least 6 times, at various times of the day to call and verify.  No luck talking to a representative.  Their time limit is up.  What is the next step?  She does not have access to a computer, unless she comes into my office.  Can that be done?  She does not have a credit card to help verify either.  Any suggestions? 

The federal notice is a bit different than the Virginia notice.  The federal notice does give a time limit of 30 days to respond, although I don't know what happens after the thirty days.  I have an older client who hasn't filed for a few years who got this notice.  To do the online verification requires an email address, which he did not have.  I set one up for him for this purpose.  But then you have to have a credit card or mortgage as part of the verification, and he does not have that either.  WIthoug that, you have to call the number given in the notice to verify your identity.  We have tried three times when he was here, and could not get through to anyone any of those times.  Nor could we remain on hold - we were told they were too busy and to call back another time.  I don't know if or when he will get his refund so if anyone else has suggestions, please post them. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Gail in Virginia said:

The federal notice is a bit different than the Virginia notice.  The federal notice does give a time limit of 30 days to respond, although I don't know what happens after the thirty days.  

I have had several get the notice for either 2019 or 2020.  Nothing unusual about their returns.  

One couple I know of ignored it (2019 return e-filed in March 2020), and they got their refund about six months or so after filing.  Lucky for me, they only called me twice BEFORE they got the notice, then not at all after.  /s

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have a retired client who has a similar notice and called IRS THIRTY times and never got through to anyone.  Her notice said she could not verify online (she is capable of doing so).  This is terrible customer service, and I told her to contact her US rep and senators to tell them to fund the IRS so it can actually serve taxpayers.  What a horrible situation for all the recipients of these notices--they're scared that their ID has been compromised and then can't reach anyone to help, all under time pressure.  Unacceptable.

• Like 6

19 hours ago, Gail in Virginia said:

The federal notice is a bit different than the Virginia notice.  The federal notice does give a time limit of 30 days to respond, although I don't know what happens after the thirty days.  I have an older client who hasn't filed for a few years who got this notice.  To do the online verification requires an email address, which he did not have.  I set one up for him for this purpose.  But then you have to have a credit card or mortgage as part of the verification, and he does not have that either.  WIthoug that, you have to call the number given in the notice to verify your identity.  We have tried three times when he was here, and could not get through to anyone any of those times.  Nor could we remain on hold - we were told they were too busy and to call back another time.  I don't know if or when he will get his refund so if anyone else has suggestions, please post them. 

Do we still have a practitioner priority line for the IRS? I have 866-860-4259 in my phone, but haven't used it in a couple of years. 

VA has one, 804-367-9286, and that is the ONLY thing this state does well. 

12 hours ago, Sara EA said:

I have a retired client who has a similar notice and called IRS THIRTY times and never got through to anyone.  Her notice said she could not verify online (she is capable of doing so).  This is terrible customer service, and I told her to contact her US rep and senators to tell them to fund the IRS so it can actually serve taxpayers.  What a horrible situation for all the recipients of these notices--they're scared that their ID has been compromised and then can't reach anyone to help, all under time pressure.  Unacceptable.

If the IRS was aware they would be incapable of handling the incoming calls to verify taxpayer identifications, why send the notice in the first place?  They have to realize the potential angst this can cause individuals...maybe that isn't taken into consideration??  Certainly, the IRS may need more funding, they may deserve more funding.  With that said, it's doesn't excuse them from poorly planned and implemented initiatives. 😡

I agree, Sara...notifying your representative in this case is a prudent move.  They should be made aware of the issues their constituents are dealing with.  Crazy. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Possi said:

Do we still have a practitioner priority line for the IRS? I have 866-860-4259 in my phone, but haven't used it in a couple of years. 

VA has one, 804-367-9286, and that is the ONLY thing this state does well. 

I tried the line on behalf of one of my clients, unfortunately that procedure is only handled by one department, to call the number on the letter. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yardley CPA said:

I agree, Sara...notifying your representative in this case is a prudent move.  They should be made aware of the issues their constituents are dealing with.  Crazy. 

It seems like we tax pros and taxpayers have zero representation anymore. Somebody should have seen this coming. And these slow refunds are blowing up my phone and emails wondering where the refund is.... even though they have checked and it's being processed. This is causing even more calls to the IRS. 

It's awful. 

• Like 5

I read today that IRS is ignoring the 30-day thing and allowing taxpayers to verify beyond that time limit.  But the poor frightened people don't know that!  I wonder why the online system is down.  A few years ago the system to recover an IPPIN was disabled as was the sharing function for the FAFSA because the ID thieves had enough info on the taxpayers to answer the questions no problem.  Did it happen again?

• Like 1

Copied from the IRS Mind website:

"Many penalty abatement requests are denied – requiring the taxpayer to appeal the adverse decision:  the IRS uses an automated decision-making tool to make penalty relief determinations.  This tool is flawed and often produces incorrect adverse penalty determinations.  Taxpayer often receive adverse penalty abatement determinations that appear not to consider all of the facts and circumstances.   Taxpayers should appeal their decision to the IRS in order to have the entirety of their circumstances considered."

• Like 1

I'm always astounded when these requests come in for people who

• have the same name as they've had for years,
  • have not changed their ssn's for any reason,
  • live at the same address they've been filing from for years - some for DECADES,
  • use the same bank account for refunds that they've used for years, and
  • their refunds are in line with refunds for the last umpty years.

You'd think they could at least limit this nonsense to ssn's where at least one of those has *changed*  from the most recently filed years.

But there's more!  I had one client last year where he did finally get through and the refund STILL didn't show up.  Had to get TAS involved.  The agent who handled the verification noted that the verification was done, but DID NOT RELEASE the refund.  So he would never have gotten another notice, and never have gotten the refund without TAS stepping in.  (Thank you, taxpayer advocate office!)

• Like 2

I have just read that federal employees with the addition of the new Juneteenth holiday get 44 paid days a year off. Are you really surprised that work is delayed and service sinks. Soon we will be right in there with the Ukraine and the like. And Possi I am delighted to hear some part of the Department of Taxation works well having not myself encountered it myself. 

Copied from the Office Of Personnel Management website:

Holidays for Federal Employees

New Year's Day (January 1).

Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr. (Third Monday in January).

Washington's Birthday (Third Monday in February).

Memorial Day (Last Monday in May).

Independence Day (July 4).

Labor Day (First Monday in September).

Columbus Day (Second Monday in October).

Veterans Day (November 11).

Thanksgiving Day (Fourth Thursday in November).

Christmas Day (December 25

• Like 1