ATX Community

opt out portal

Marie

I had a client with the same issue. They started on their desktop and uploaded the picture, but it did not work. Eventually they had to use an option that texted them a link to upload the picture via their cell phone and then do a selfie video on their phone via the link also. And then it they were able to finish the process on their desktop.

ACTC opt out, I'm guessing. A class I took said the IRS (ID.me who does ID verification for the IRS) sends an app in which to upload a DL &/or a pix holding your DL next to your face. It sounds complicated with way too many steps for most of my clients to follow. Those that can follow directions well are too busy &/or too impatient to spend a lot of time. Follow the directions the best you can.

• Like 2

All this to opt out?  I would think it would be necessary if someone was updating info like bank account, address, child added to return, in case any of those changes are fraudulent, but you have to prove who you are to say you don't want the advance?  I have a client whom I advised to opt out because income will go way up this year, and she didn't complain of any problems.  Are they asking everyone to do this?

• Like 2

If you already have a secure access account, you're almost all the way there. For those starting from scratch, there are a lot more steps. And, I think the "app" for ID verification gets downloaded to a smartphone; so if you're setting up on your computer you'll be going back and forth to your phone. I don't know if you save any steps by doing it all on your phone.

I didn't hear from any clients who want to opt out. But then, my clients are aging like I am, so not too many eligible child dependents in my clients' families.

• Like 2

On 6/29/2021 at 8:47 PM, Sara EA said:

All this to opt out?  I would think it would be necessary if someone was updating info like bank account, address, child added to return, in case any of those changes are fraudulent, but you have to prove who you are to say you don't want the advance?  I have a client whom I advised to opt out because income will go way up this year, and she didn't complain of any problems.  Are they asking everyone to do this?

They can now use the opt out portal to change direct deposit information.  They'll be able to change address, children claimed, expected income later this year.

• 2 weeks later...

had my client call the IRS number to opt out.  waited 1/2 on hold, then was sent to different people, and was finally told that there had been too many callers and he would have to call back later or tomorrow.  Who has this much time, never knowing if you are going to get through?  Poor service

I went into the portal to opt out myself.  Initially it did not take my drivers license.  That offended me.  I think I'm fairly handsome.  I figured, let me scan the license in color...that did the trick.  Not sure if it's the answer for everyone or not, but it worked for me.  Ultimately, I did not opt out since I would have had to register my wife as well since we file MFJ.  If I opted out and she didn't she would receive half the entitlement.