ATX Community

Gail From VA....or Anyone From VA

MsTabbyKats

Hi All-

Remember me?  I was active here until I retired about 6 years ago.

I have a question about VA tax.  My son lives there, so being "a good mom" I still do his tax return.  Since I'm not a paid preparer, I was not able to enter that I had authorized discussion ability.

Anyway, VA sent a letter saying the return was "poorly or incorrectly formatted".  The issues....this was the first year he had a Schedule C.  In addition, after it was filed, the 1099-C increased so I had to amend.  

Payment was sent for the original return of $126.  A check was mailed in for the amended return for $40.  When I check his on-line VA acct. it says he owes $126...so my gut feeling is they are questioning the original return.

I would appreciate if someone could take a look at it and let me know the error of my ways.  Was there something special to fill out for a Schedule C in VA?  I checked while I was doing the return and didn't see anything.

Thanks.......any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!  Retirement is wonderful....I don't pay attention to what's happening in the world of taxes.

As for my issue....I have a feeling that the original and the amended crossed.  I told my son I'm perfect, I don't make mistakes!!!!

Happy July 4th everyone..............

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Lion EA said:

It also could be that VA didn't process/post his $126 check to his account yet.

But I also am happy to see you here and know zip about VA taxes. Did have a VA client years ago, but she didn't have a Schedule C.

VA acknowledged the receipt of the $126.  But it also says he owes $126.  It would take me about 3 seconds to clear this up with a phone call.....

Worst case scenario, I'll write a letter for my son with the original return, the amended return...and the dates of payment attached.

Virginia has gotten pretty sticky about talking to anyone other than the taxpayer without a POA.  I have not had any luck with faxing while on the phone; I usually fax the PAR101 and wait a few days to try to call.  I have attached the VA form for POA in case that helps.  I am not sure what they mean by poorly or incorrectly formatted - I have not had a return reject for that reason.  But if you need someone here in VA to help, Possi has offered and I will too. 

par101.pdf

"Poorly or incorrectly formatted " must be a new offense. 😄 I am not surprised by anything that comes out of our Department of Taxation. When have they not been sticky Gail? I had to contact my state Senator too get my $25 refund back on my return some years back. Last year they kept my $61.00 refund explaining I would receive a letter as to why I would not receive it. I'll likely be gone to glory before or if I ever hear from them. For the current year I went to my account to pay my quarterly tax estimate only to find the monthly calendar on the State website was a day off and it would not process my payment. 😒

• 1 month later...