ATX Community

Deceased taxpayer

Marie

Mother has died in 2020, and daughter is wanting to file Mom's taxes for 2020.  But efile rejected saying "The Primary SSN in the return header has been locked because Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual."

How do I fix this?  Does it have to be a paper file? 

15 minutes ago, Marie said:

Mother has died in 2020, and daughter is wanting to file Mom's taxes for 2020.  But efile rejected saying "The Primary SSN in the return header has been locked because Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual."

How do I fix this?  Does it have to be a paper file? 

Did you fill in the information on the taxpayer field for date of death?   I have never had one reject when the date of death field is filled in.

Tom
Sparks, NV

• Like 2

I had this happen to three taxpayers with the exact same error message one year.  I contacted the IRS liaison for our region (they deal with systemic problems), he looked into it and found it was a programming error so it got fixed.    My error messages occurred during filing season, so maybe after a certain date Soc Sec cuts off those numbers?  Maybe the bug is back?  You can notify your liaison, but at this point you have no choice but to paper file.