ATX Community

Appraisals

Christian

Sometime back a forum member posted an entry in which a question was raised concerning the appraisal value of items a client wished to sell. One or more members posted the names of appraisers or auction houses that they were familiar with (one in Washington D C if my memory serves) and I failed to print the replies out. Now I find I need this type of info and would appreciate any input from anyone. Alternatively if I can be furnished the original post and comments from here that to would be appreciated. I'll be sure and print it this time for sure if received.

2 hours ago, Christian said:

Sometime back a forum member posted an entry in which a question was raised concerning the appraisal value of items a client wished to sell. One or more members posted the names of appraisers or auction houses that they were familiar with (one in Washington D C if my memory serves) and I failed to print the replies out. Now I find I need this type of info and would appreciate any input from anyone. Alternatively if I can be furnished the original post and comments from here that to would be appreciated. I'll be sure and print it this time for sure if received.

Was it this one?  

We recently had a client who had rented an office building to a nonprofit and eventually donated it to them.  He got the certified appraisal (40 pages worth) that I told him he needed.  However, the appraiser refused to sign Part IV of the 8283, claiming he didn't appraise it for IRS purposes or something like that.  I believe the two of them are battling it out now about why the client paid for an appraisal to certify FMV and now the appraiser won't attest to it. Have your client hire an appraiser very carefully!

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Sara EA said:

. . . . .  However, the appraiser refused to sign Part IV of the 8283, claiming he didn't appraise it for IRS purposes or something like that.  I believe the two of them are battling it out now about why the client paid for an appraisal to certify FMV and now the appraiser won't attest to it. Have your client hire an appraiser very carefully!

This may be a red flag since appraisers are subject to Circular 230!

Yes there it is "does anyone know a stamp collector?" I'll save and print it. I am throwing out. Low and behold up pop four or five Christmas cards from 1913. They are really quite beautiful and besides the stamps on them the cards are early Americana. This will help ascertain a value. Many thanks. I see I posted in that one and ,of course, I still have those 400 post cards. You all will likely face this down the road and I do not envy you. Disposing of generational accumulations is not easy to say the least.

• Like 1