ATX Community

FORM 941 BACKLOG

Lee B

"Forms 940X/941 inventory

This year continues to be unique and present filing issues, Mankowski noted. “The IRS has hired over 3,200 employees to cover attrition and to increase staffing. As the IRS is attempting to reduce the backlog, Austin and Fresno have been tapped to help process Form 941. As of mid-July, approximately 1.8 million forms have not yet been processed. For returns prior to 2021, 11,000 are still in inventory. These figures are for Form 941 returns — they don’t include Form 940, or Form 941X amended returns"

Wow, 1.8 Million unprocessed Form 941s.  I have have been wondering about this, because I have several 941s

that I should have received a letter or a refund check?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm seeing this played out, as a half-dozen of my clients are dealing with unpaid refunds or penalty notices due to IRS not having processed their 2nd quarter 941 prior to processing their 3rd quarter 941. (or a smilar scenario with other back-to-back quarters)  Therefore, their overpayment from the 2nd quarter was not applied to their 3rd quarter 941 and a notice for failure to deposit has been generated.

The largest one was hit with a $900 P&I assessment, which I told him to pay in order to avoid a levy, and to not expect it to be refunded for 6 months or more.  The upside is that he wil be paid interest at a rate better than anything he can get right now.  (Fortunately he can afford to wait and he likes the idea of the iRS paying him interest.)  

• Like 1

On 8/5/2021 at 3:10 PM, Abby Normal said:

Are we talking paper filed 941s? I would think efiled ones would be handled by computers.

That would assume that the IRS had enough time to reprogram their computers for all of the various covid related credits, which of course kept changing?

• Like 1