ATX Community

Why Having Direct Deposit is Important

FDNY

I have a client, let’s call him Suspicious Joe who distrusts everything governmental.  Joe never wanted direct deposit.  So Joe was getting a 2020 refund and wanted a check mailed.  After 4 months he calls me, no check.   His return is in the error department probably because he gave me incorrect amounts of EIPs that he said he received by mail.  The problem is, he moved, never told me and no forwarding with USPO because he doesn’t trust them either and doesn’t want anyone knowing where he went (I don’t think the PO forwards refund checks anyway).   I emailed him a copy of his returns twice and Joe finally tells me he moved.  I called  PPL and they tell me there is no way to change address while return is in error review department awaiting an agent’s review.  So does anyone have any idea what to do other than sending in an 8822 which I did?  I told him this may take a year to resolve.  I felt a feeling of joy saying that.  He’s getting a checking account as we speak.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Hi, :)  

I just had a similar case, you need to call IRS and they will trace the check.  quit fast.  they will not notify you the trace result, because if the original didnot get cashed, they will just replace a new one.  Through the call, you can confirm with them the valid address.

Thank you!

Kate

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KATHERINE said:

Hi, :)  

I just had a similar case, you need to call IRS and they will trace the check.  quit fast.  they will not notify you the trace result, because if the original didnot get cashed, they will just replace a new one.  Through the call, you can confirm with them the valid address.

Thank you!

Kate

As soon as I see that the case is resolved I will jump on that, thank you for the advice Kate.    I’ll check WMF every month or so to see that check went out.  I also submitted a 2848 just in case.   He owes me big time next year and he knows it.  

• Like 4