ATX Community

WI audit ? - Resolution or get it done?

WITAXLADY

Auditor sent thru changes we have to prove - Talked to clients and not only are the changes wrong - and we can fix, the tax return is not correct for the Sch C - so major corrections need to be made- due 9/13 - and do not think we can get it completed timely or correctly.

Cannot extend so it goes to Resolution. Auditor says they will probably call him back to help with it.

Do we let it go to resolution and send it there and fight it with a good correct Tax Return or try and get it finished in a week?

I am not familiar with Resolution..

D

You are a long way from resolution.

When the auditor makes the final report, you will have 30 days to accept or reject it.  Do not accept it and let them know you want an appeal.

This could take some time to schedule.  Appeals is much more generous than the auditor.  If you still are not satisfied, the case will be closed and then youwill be notified you have 90 days to file a tax court petition.   This will lead to a higher level appeals meeting.  Here the IRS will try to resolve the issues so that the case does not have to go to tax court.  

Thank you - but this is WI - they have no appeals - I do have the days to accept or reject but no Tax Advocate, no STOP etc..

So am concerned if I go past the initial auditor..

However, he said he will get it back anyway.. I just miss a step but the same process unless I present new info again.

so the steps are somewhat the same and I cannot present a completed audit yet..

Thx again - it does clarify my position. I have another one (sales tax) and we extended the extension - I do not know why that doesn't apply here??

May because the auditor is not completed yet.. and the first one was?

D