ATX Community

State of Hawaii

grandmabee

Five minutes of online searching found multiple sources:

"Tax on unemployment benefits: ARPA says that individuals can exclude up to $10,200 in employment benefits received in 2020. Hawaii is not going to copy the exclusion. It costs too much. If you received unemployment benefits in 2020, and you didn’t elect to have Hawaii tax withheld, you should look very seriously at paying estimated Hawaii tax."

I suggest that you confirm this.

I have seen all of this and it is not a final answer.  Your link is from January 2021.  All my research says wait until the legislative makes a decision.

But ATX doesn't seem to make the adjustment on the state forms so maybe they are waiting too.  Sorry to waste your 5 minutes of searching.  I did spend more time than that before I posted.  I thought maybe someone from Hawaii would answer with some other insight.

My understanding is that this year's session ended April 30th so you may be waiting for awhile.

We will do have a member from Hawaii that posts occasionally, but I haven't seen a post from him this year.

It shouldn't be hard to find an email address for a tax preparer in Hawaii to whom you could send an inquiry or email the state revenue department.

1 hour ago, grandmabee said:

. . . . .Your link is from January 2021.  All my research says wait until the legislative makes a decision.

The date on the document is from January, but my link is current.

I think that the state of Hawaii has left this up and active and not taken it down means something.