ATX Community

PTIN RENEWAL

BLACK BART

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I don't understand the rush to send in your money. I do it every December as part of getting ready for tax season.

Acutally, I'm in no rush to send them money, but I too like to get ready for tax season.

Call me a pessimist but, as you know, we must have the PTIN to do taxes, so I like to get a jump on it if possible.  Rarely (but sometimes), the IRS site has stated that my ID and/or password (known to me to be correct) is wrong, or that the computer's down, or for some reason they ae unable to process the application at this time.  If their damn 1980 computer doesn't work, IRS is, of course, incommunicado.

That leaves the paper option available by mail (probably as soon as the unprocessed 10 million return backlog is cleared) and doubtless, you would receive the OK by next July.  

P.S. I'm presently unable to process any critical responses to this hogwash.  Check back later and let fly. :D

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not after me! 

• Like 1

Have no fear Bart. The inscrutables at the Service will eventually right the ship. In 2020 in the middle of the pandemic my phone rings and an IRS agent informs me that my PTIN is incorrect and has been so since 2014 !! He was unable to provide any reason for this being so but said I needed to change it post haste which I did immediately.  😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Christian said:

Have no fear Bart. The inscrutables at the Service will eventually right the ship. In 2020 in the middle of the pandemic my phone rings and an IRS agent informs me that my PTIN is incorrect and has been so since 2014 !! He was unable to provide any reason for this being so but said I needed to change it post haste which I did immediately.  😄

I assume that you didn't have any problems filing returns with the wrong PTIN?  In which case what is the point of having one?

Strange that you got a phone call instead of a letter?  How would you know it was really someone from the IRS calling you?

• Like 2

I had experienced no problems for some six years apparently using an incorrect PTIN. Having been conditioned to believe that an incorrect filing would produce an error message advising me of any mistakes in entry and having received none I thought everything was just fine. My offhand guess is the error occurred when improvements were made in the PTIN system. I ask the agent for an ID which he provided and pointed out the Service did not call people further asking why I had not received a written notice. They apparently had just discovered the error and as we were in the midst of the filing season wanted the number changed as quickly as possible. He provided a number to call him at and after checking what he had said I changed the number and called him back to advise him the number was corrected. He assigned no blame to me and sometime afterwards I received a letter from them. I chalked it up to the wonderful working of our government and soldiered on. 😇

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...