ATX Community

Very frustrated with IRS

Marie

Clients are getting letters, I am reponding, clients receive more letters.  I am calling, IRS can't answer, too many calls. 

Client got letter "notice of intent to sieze"  We responded to the first letter months ago, received no reponse, now , notice to sieze.  

Several clients didn't get the amount of refund that they were entitled to, letters say could be one of 3 things, or 2, or 1. 

ID verification has been a problem.  No one can be reached. 

What is everyone else doing? 

• Like 1

Telling clients to keep calling, or to be patient, depending on the urgency of their issue with the IRS. That I will work on it after 15 October. Very frustrated with the client calls/emails/texts during these last 3 or so months when I'm trying to prepare returns before 15 October. Very time-consuming at my busiest time of year! The IRS is broken. Why does the buck stop in my lap?!

• Like 5

I guess I have been fortunate.  I just had the first client who just received an IRS letter telling him that he had balance due

because according to their records he received the first stimulus rebate while he claims he never received this rebate.

I told him to review his checking account records again and gave the IRS phone number to call.

Other than that I told him there was nothing I could do.

• Like 3

tax practitioner - which I can no longer get thru to! bty, -  said to wait until you get the notice to sieze so you have a fax number  - then you can correspond that way..

Otherwise out of luck.

and yes - I have given the client the number to call and let the client be frustrated by no answer and on hold - and then they come back and ask for help - gives me delay time and some sympathy..

Very frustrating for all parties.

Client had a significant refund which we applied to next year.

Client gets a letter stating part of it was taken and paid to the state for an outstanding tax bill from 2019. I know there was no tax due.

Spent WAY too much time trying to figure it all out. Client gets mad that I haven't done enough. State hangs up on my 3-4x and one lady informs me they didn't pay estimated taxes we claimed (the estimated tax is paid by her IRA so we know it was paid).

Check comes from the state for the amount the IRS gave them with no explanation. When I ask the state again they finally admit there was no outstanding balance and no clue why the IRS sent them the money. Rep can't explain why I was lied to repeatedly.

• Sad 1

On 9/17/2021 at 12:59 PM, cbslee said:

The IRS is not in control of the majority of what has happened

True, BUT - they are completely and 100% in control of stopping the computer-generated letters threatening people!  They *know* they are behind in processing what has been mailed to them.  They should *not* be threatening people when there are stacks of unopened mail a mile high and phone calls of which they are answering less than 10%.

If they just stopped the letters and seizures until they catch up, 90+% of this nonsense would be resolved once the dust has settled.  We'd still be sane, their phone lines would free up, and people would not be panicking and blaming us.

• Like 2

Those are both good tactics, @FDNY and @joanmcq - and have the other great side effect of leaving the bulk of the day open.  Call first thing - any day except Monday - or wait until an hour-ish before West Coast closing time (until 7pm-ish East Coast time).  Especially on Friday, when you can bump that back to shortly after 5pm East Coast time!  Not only have many offices closed for the day (increasingly with every minute that passes), but on Friday many go home/close up early, husbanding their strength and energy for the Bataan Death March emulator that the filing season has become.  

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Max W said:

@Catherine

The Bataan Death March!  What an analogy, but I doubt that anyone will be bayonetted for not showing up for work on Monday.

I wonder how many people on this board even knows what it was.   

My high school football coach was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. Ironically, his name was Max Beam. 

Coach Beam didn’t have any patience with slackers, and he always said we were too soft & had no idea what hardship was.  Wonder what he’d say about today’s generation? 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, JohnH said:

My high school football coach was a survivor of the Bataan Death March. Ironically, his name was Max Beam. 

Coach Beam didn’t have any patience with slackers, and he always said we were too soft & had no idea what hardship was.  Wonder what he’d say about today’s generation? 

Wow.  I just googled the Bataan Death March.  I'm embarrassed that I didn't know about it.

Now, to embarrass myself a second time, what is ironic about the name Max Beam?  No luck figuring that out via google.

Thanks for your patience with me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jasdlm said:

Wow.  I just googled the Bataan Death March.  I'm embarrassed that I didn't know about it.

Now, to embarrass myself a second time, what is ironic about the name Max Beam?  No luck figuring that out via google.

Thanks for your patience with me.

Sorry, I wasn’t clear about that.  It was Max W who posed the question. I was making a loose connection between the two having the same name. 

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 4:37 PM, jasdlm said:

I certainly was never taught anything about it, but first got curious about the events of that time decades ago after watching a production of "A Town Like Alice" based on Nevil Shute's novel of the same name.  Being a curious lass, I went digging in encyclopedias and histories (all on paper back then).  I also read the actual book by Shute, as well as a couple of his other books.

• Like 1

Many pieces of history out there for those who are interested.  My current curiosity is how Dawes freedmen will or won't be accepted by the tribes.  The government classified many on the freedmen rolls incorrectly, but it seems like the tribes are considering following the Cherokee lead.  I find it fascinating because tribal membership (via BIA) is based on degree of Indian blood, which is based on flawed Dawes listings, rather than who the tribe accepts as members.

Also fascinating as the federal government has been asked to set rules for sovereign nations... via monetary pressure.

• Like 1